Last night, the Blue Crew held off the White Sox until the inevitable rally began. Per Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider:
“Kind of a weird night,” Wood said. “I didn’t feel like I had my best stuff. We made some (good) pitches. It’s a kind of an interesting dynamic became they’re one of the most aggressive teams in all of baseball, so it was a lot more of my secondary stuff, and I feel like we were able to command that for the most part and made some pitches and they put the ball on the ground and in the air. … I just had to hold us in there till we got that offensive explosion.”Soon, a bases loaded hit-by-pitch drives in the go-ahead run and opened a floodgate that eventually lead to four more runs crossing the plate.
Oh... And we're 50 games over .500... Let that sink in for a bit...
Pic above via SportsNet LA on twitter. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1950 Giants third baseman Hank Thompson hit two inside-the-park home runs off Dodger pitchers Don Bankhead and Carl Erskine at the Polo Grounds. Brooklyn got pummelled 16-7. In 1964 Cardinals great Curt Flood recorded eight consecutive hits against the Dodgers during a doubleheader in Los Angeles; including four hit against Sandy Koufax. Unfortunately, Koufax injured his elbow while on the basepaths and would not pitch again this season. In 1988 the Dodgers traded fan favorite Pedro Guerrero to the Cardinals for starting pitcher John Tudor. This move would prove to be an impactful one. I nine starts Tudor would solidify the rotation by going 4-3 with an 2.41 ERA and 3.36 FIP.
- Happy Birthday, Hub Northen, Billy Rhiel, Roger Cedeno & Yu Darvish!
- Audio: Andrew Friedman joins Lunchtime with Roggin and Rodney to talk about the return of Adrian Gonzalez, the impact of Yu Darvish and the teams chase for the best regular season record in baseball history. (audio link)
- Video: Dave Roberts on making a 5-run comeback in the 8th inning, being 50 games over .500 and more after Dodgers' 6-1 win over the White Sox on Tuesday. (video link)
- Video: Austin Barnes speaks to Kelli Tennant after the Dodgers score a 5-run comeback in the 8th inning to beat the White Sox on Tuesday night. (video link)
- ICYMI: The Dodgers traded Chris Hatcher to the A's for international amateur signing bonus pool space. Rob Segedin was brought up to LA in his place.
- Per Chad Moriyama at Dodgers Digest; "Darvish, Watson, and Cingrani see their pitch usage change with Dodgers."
- Per Bob Nightengale at USA Today; "Big Blue Machine: Inside the brain trust that created the unstoppable Los Angeles Dodgers."
“The communication from Andrew, Farhan (Zaidi) and the multiple GMs around here is extremely comfortable,’’ Dodgers veteran pitcher Rich Hill says. “It’s not like, 'Oh, wow, I can’t talk to him because he’s the president or the GM.' There are no barriers or walls. The level of respect is there for everybody, and you just don’t find that in every organization. Hopefully, other organizations will look at this as a model for everyone.’’Make no mistake, this is an organization that thrives on data. Players are given charts before each game on everything from defensive positioning to opposing pitchers’ tendencies to secretive injuries. Catcher Yasmani Grandal has a color-coded cheat sheet on his wrist band. Outfielders carry index cards in their back pockets during games, reminding them of their defensive placement. Players are given access to a proprietary statistical website.
- Per Phil Gurnee at Dodgers, Yesterday and Today; "Ike Davis is the son of 1981 LAD World Series hero Ron Davis?"
- Panini shares even more preview pics from their upcoming 2017 Immaculate Baseball set -- featuring cards unearthed from actual boxes; including those of Clayton Kershaw and Lou Gehrig. Go here to check out more. This brand officially goes live today.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *