- Yasiel Puig, the Dodgers recent signee has officially reported to the Arizona League, via a Dodgers Press Release.
“We’re thrilled that Yasiel has arrived in Arizona,” said Dodger Assistant General Manager, Scouting Logan White. “He's athletic, intelligent and someone that's ready to work hard and earn a chance to fulfill his dream of playing Major League baseball.”
Of special note, some other Cuban signings were also mentioned:
In the 2012 First-Year Draft held in June, the Dodgers took two Cuban players, pitchers Onelki Garcia and Alfredo Unzue, while signing another as a free agent, catcher Selme Angulo. Overall, the Dodgers are expanding their scouting efforts and player signings in Latin America.
- Christopher Jackson of the Albuquerque Baseball Examiner writes a guest post for MSTI focused on some young Dodger arms.
- Roberto is back in the swing of things. Via Vin Scully is my Homeboy, Andre Ethier is scheduled to play in Rancho Cucamonga this coming Wednesday and Thursday on a rehab assignment.
- June's Dodger Pride Award Winners.
- AJW has an article out focused on Calbee's Japanese Baseball cards. (Hat Tip: This Card is Cool)
Tokyo-based snacks maker Calbee Inc. this year celebrates the 40th anniversary of its "Professional Baseball Chips" potato chip line that offers trading cards featuring Nippon Professional Baseball players.
- ESPN writes about an attic vintage Baseball card find of 1910 E98's. These are small cards the size of tobacco cards from the same time period, but were distributed by a candy/caramel company. Furthermore, these cards are some of the most pristine (condition-wise) cards the hobby had ever seen. Check out the PSA graded card of Honus Wagner at a pristine "10" grade above. You can see it for auction here. A remarkable 16 (that's right sixteen) Ty Cobbs were found all grading at a "9". A partial set from this find is on auction and can be found here. You just don't see this kind of find anymore!
- With 2012 Allen & Ginter Baseball cards now at a local retail shops near you (the official release date is actually tomorrow) I find myself wanting the Kate Upton autographed card below. I'll have pics of Dodger cards from the set soon.