This weeks card of the week really isn't a card at all, but is instead a Sporting Life team composite print circa 1906-1907 of the Scranton Baseball Club. Sporting life magazine was one of the premier baseball journals of the time. From 1902 to 1909 they sold these large 13" X 14" prints to fans throughout the country. They are very rare and look great framed and matted. This particular print was sold in a portfolio book of 24 different teams, but they where also sold individually for 10 cents a piece.
The reason why the 1907 Scranton Baseball Club of the New York State League is notable is because it includes one of Baseballs more mythical players- Archibald "Moonlight" Graham. See him on the bottom left below. As we all know his story was highlighted in the movie called "A Field of Dreams." Graham played in one game in the field, but never got a chance to bat. He was left standing in the on-deck circle while the final out was recorded to end the game. He would never appear in a Major League game again. He ultimately left Baseball to became a doctor in the town of Chisholm, Minnesota. Doc Graham was beloved there as he worked in the town for fifty years.
The print below is, from my understanding, one of the few known Baseball vintage artifact/ memorabilia pieces known to exist of "Doc" Archibald "Moonlight" Graham.
(Hat Tip: Vintage Baseball Card Forum)
Sunday, July 06, 2008
Three games under .500 and only half a game out of first. You gotta love the National West.
- This is one of the best Dodger fan uniform ever! Courtesy of Home Run Derby. Check out the video they have of her running bye in the outfield bleachers.
- Barry Bonds homerun ball #756 that was branded with an asterisk by designer Ecko has finally made it into the Hall of Fame. ESPN has the full background story of the negotiations between the Hall and Ecko. (Hat Tip: SOSG) Photo from Wax Heaven.
- Check it out. Even George Carlin has a card. (Hat Tip: Trader Crack's)
- Gavel Chat queries a handful of the most senior ticket collectors in the hobby to come up with their Top 10 Vintage Sports Tickets of All-Time.
- Who's for a high-speed train connecting Southern and Northern California. It seems like the timing couldn't be better. It's on the ballot this coming November as Proposition 1.
- Dmitri Young has one of the finest collections of rookie cards featuring Hall of famers. He has about 150 cards and all are in PSA 10 condition. That means they are in Gem Mint perfect condition, like they are fresh from a pack. At this coming National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago later this month it will be on display. Hat Tip: SCD: