Here are a couple of interesting items I ran across on eBay that rarely come around. Fortunately, they are not highly sought after and can be purchased for a good deal. Below are a couple of promotional photos for 2 Dodger players. These photos originally came out in the 50's and ended in the 70's. They typically measure 8" X 10" and were made for players who had contracted with a particular sports equipment company to endorse their product. Usually they were displayed on walls at department stores and sometimes given to customers.
Here, Willie Davis is featured on a Wilson Sporting Goods photo. The great thing about this pic is that he is standing on the field at Wrigley in Chicago before there were noticeable bleachers on the buildings.
Below, Tommy Davis poses for Rawlings Sporting Goods Company. Notice that he is sporting a Rawlings glove in his left hand.
Sunday, May 31, 2009
- Gene at True Blue LA explains how Sandy Koufax saved his family's lives one evening on June 30, 1962.
- The Japanese are innovators.
What is interesting about this new development is that the Shikoku Gakuin Daigaku is adding the major of Baseball Science, which is the first such program in any Japanese university. The main subjects the students will be able to study majoring in Baseball Science will be: History of Japanese Baseball, Baseball Information Analysis, Baseball Methodology, Baseball Management, Health and Sports Nutrition and Introduction of Baseball Communication.(Hat Tip: Walk Off Walk)
- I would have done almost anything to be sitting at the craps table while this woman was rolling last weekend. A New Jersey Grandmother and novice craps player had 154 consecutive rolls that lasted 4 hours and 18 minutes. The odds of doing that is 1 in 1.56 trillion. When I go to Vegas I always hit the crap tables. It is the bane of my existence and the most frustrating game of luck I've ever played. Still, I always go back.
The table filled up and a throng of spectators gathered. Demauro rolled double sixes, hard fours, snake eyes, every possible combination of the dice. Some people called out requests and Demauro managed to fulfill them. Players from the nearby blackjack table came over to watch, and then came the casino executives, or as she describes them, "men in dark suits." Demauro and her audience knew they would never witness anything like this again. "There was a woman there, and we happened to catch each other's eyes," Demauro says, "She smiled at me, and I smiled and said, 'I don't know how to play the game.'"When someone is rolling hot like that it is the most exciting thing in the world to watch. (Hat Tip: Deadspin)
- Why did Cardboard Junkie make a Baseball card for recently nominated Federal Appeals Court Judge Sonia Sotomayor? Because she saved Baseball!!! Wiki.
- Broxton Rox of the Can-Am Baseball League hired the first female coach in professional Baseball. Her name is Justine Seigal. This league has been making some news recently. The Quebec Capitales recently inked Eric Gagne to a contract.
EMBED-The Kitty Matrix - Watch more free videos