A group of 300 military veterans visited Dodger Stadium yesterday for batting practice with Kenley Jansen, Dodger alumni like Billy Ashley and Al Downing and fellow veterans Don Newcombe and Roy Gleason. Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com:
"The players understand we're not as young as we used to be, but to give us the attention makes me feel happy," said (Ret. Lt. Col. David) Friend, who retired after 30 years of service. "I was particularly happy to see Don Newcombe. When I was going overseas, I saw him at a base in Virginia."Via Anthony Irwin at Dodger Nation:
Kenley Jansen, who was at the park for conditioning, also took in the festivities before getting to work. He ran the stairs as the batting practice took place on the field.Featured in the pic above is Don Newcombe welcoming the crowd, via the Dodgers on twitter. Check out more photos from the days activities by Jon SooHoo here. Below are more links to check out:
“It’s just great to be here for them. They’ve given so much for us, I just want to give back,” he said.
- Congrats to Jake Arrieta for being selected the 2015 NL Cy Young winner, via BBWAA. He edged out Zack Greinke by just 22 points.
- Eric Stephen at True Blue LA shares the final numbers on the Dodgers 2015 payroll. It's striking how many of the top paid players didn't play for the Dodgers at all... So many dumped contracts.
- An old friend to join San Diego - Takashi Saito. Via Dennis Lin on twitter:
Former All-Star closer Takashi Saito will be an intern in the Padres' FO. Padres exec Logan White was a key figure in signing Saito in '06.— Dennis Lin (@dennistlin) November 18, 2015
- Here's a fantastic story via Clark Spencer at the Miami Herald on Dee Gordon; "Loss of his mother to domestic violence spurred Dee Gordon to comfort others."
Gordon, through his Flash of Hope program, is working with children in Miami-Dade County who have lost a parent from domestic abuse, just as he lost his mother 20 years ago.
“I went through it, and when I went through it, I didn’t have anybody,” Gordon said. “Nobody could relate to me. So now I just want to relate to kids and give back my time.”
- Via Bob Elliott at the Toronto Sun, " Blue Jays could have interest in Dodgers executive Byrnes as GM." Elliott also mentions that Ned Colletti interviewed for the President job in July.
- Roberto at Vin Scully is My Homeboy tells us all about getting the autograph of former Dodger John Werhas.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *