Clayton and Ellen Kershaw accept the 2012 Roberto Clemente Award yesterday evening. "(The Clemente Award) means more to me than any individual award I could ever achieve." Pic via twitter @Dodgers.
- I guess there was some rioting in San Francisco after their championship win. Check out the twitter hashtag #SFRiots for the lowdown. While on Haight an impromptu band formed and played for happy fans.
- Jackie Robinson's daughter will be joining the Board of Directors of the Dodgers, via Bill Shaikin at the LA Times.
Sharon Robinson said she hoped the involvement of Dodgers ownership would help the Jackie Robinson Foundation secure funding for additional college scholarships as well as for a planned Jackie Robinson Museum in New York.
"We don't see it as a sports museum," she said. "We see it as a civil rights museum."
- Both Clayton Kershaw and Andre Ethier are finalist for a Gold Glove, via a Dodgers press release.
Ethier, 30, ranked second among National League right fielders with a .988 fielding percentage, committing just three errors in 146 games (142 starts) in right field this season. Ethier’s streak of 282 games (276 starts) from July 10, 2010-July 25, 2012 without an error was the second-longest active run among non-pitchers in baseball behind only Franklin Gutierrez and the second-longest errorless run by a Dodger outfielder behind only Brett Butler’s 306-game run from 1992-94.
Kershaw, 24, completed his second consecutive errorless season and has not committed an error since Aug. 1, 2010, a span of 76 games. The Texas native led the Majors with 11 pickoffs and has either led or tied for the National League lead in pickoffs in each of the last three seasons since 2010.
- Steve Dilbeck at the LA Times takes a look at "The Early Promise of Paco Rodriquez."
The take: You have to wear shades. Taken in the second round of the draft, Rodriguez — who we learned very quickly likes to go by Paco and not Steven — it’s been remarkably smooth sailing thus far.He never appeared intimidated, around the club or on the field. Young, hard-throwing, left-handed relievers with nice command are rarer than a speechless Tommy Lasorda.If he stays anywhere near on track, it’s difficult to imagine he won’t be back with the team next season at some point. Someone to look at down the road as a potential closer.
- Former Dodger Talk host, Ken Levine will be singing copies of his new book at the Grove in West Hollywood from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM tonight! Go to his blog for more info.
- I just noticed this. Sports Propaganda Art has a new print featuring Adrian Gonzalez in a Dodgers uniform. Go here. See it at right.
- Former Kings defenseman Jack Johnson lays it all down in his recent blog post concerning the NHL lockout. You go, Jack MF'n Johnson!
The concept that the owners are trying to dismantle existing contracts that they in good faith offered, signed, and committed to is appalling, unprofessional, and disgraceful. I negotiated my own contract, without an agent, with the confidence and belief that the owner offering me that contract operated by the same convictions and principals as I do. During the summer, the players offered to play through negotiations and the owners locked us out. We want to play hockey! Where is the honor? I’m ready to play and uphold my end of the deal!
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *