Throughout Spring Training the Dodgers PR department sends out helpful daily notes from Camelback Ranch, and I am happy to pass them along. See what they've written below.
|(pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers)|
ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN: For many, Presidents Day is a day spent away from the office or school, but the Dodgers were back at work today for their fourth full-squad workout of the spring. Dodger hitters faced live pitching for the first time as Zack Greinke, Chris Withrow, Javy Guerra, Jose Dominguez, Sam Demel, Daniel Moskos and Red Patterson tossed live batting practice on Fields 1 and 2. In addition, Paul Maholm, Paco Rodriguez and Jamey Wright threw regular bullpens.
|(Hershiser, Honeycutt and Koufax, pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers)|
HAIL TO THE CHIEF(S): A select trio of Dodger greatness appeared at spring workouts this morning at Camelback Ranch as Tommy Davis, Orel Hershiser and Sandy Koufax watched and offered advice to the current Boys in Blue. Combined, the three of them were members of eight Dodger World Series teams, while winning four Cy Young Awards, two batting titles and an MVP Award.
- As in years past, Davis, a three-time All-Star and 1962 and 1963 NL batting champion, will serve as a special instructor during Spring Training.
- Koufax, a Dodger special advisor to the chairman, arrived at Camelback Ranch yesterday for his annual visit. Last month, the seven-time All-Star, three-time Cy Young Award winner and 1963 NL MVP, presented Clayton Kershaw with his 2013 NL Cy Young Award at the annual BBWAA Awards dinner in New York.
- Hershiser, the 1988 Cy Young Award winner and World Series MVP, arrived at Spring Training today along with fellow Dodger broadcaster John Hartung to begin filming a series of long-form interviews for the “Connected With” program on SportsNet LA. During the next few days, Hershiser, Hartung and Alanna Rizzo will sit down for extended interviews with Don Mattingly, Hanley Ramirez, Clayton Kershaw, Brian Wilson, Adrian Gonzalez, Andre Ethier, Chris Perez, Dan Haren, A.J. Ellis and Carl Crawford for the network, which launches on February 25.
(Matt Kemp and Sandy Koufax, pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers)
|(Tommy Lasorda and Andre Ethier, pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers)|
AN OFFICIAL PORTRAIT: On Thursday, the Dodgers will hold their annual Photo Day starting at 7:00 a.m. with players, coaches and staff showing their pearly whites for a variety of media outlets, including SportsNet LA, MLB.com, USA Today, Baseball Digest, Topps and Getty.
NRI SPOTLIGHT: Left-hander Chris Reed is making his first appearance in big league camp this year after going 4-11 with one save and a 3.86 ERA in 29 games (25 starts) with Double-A Chattanooga last season. Reed, who enters his fourth professional season rated as the Dodgers’ No. 8 prospect by Baseball America, has limited opponents to a .244 batting average during the course of his career, including a .188 mark against left-handers. The former Stanford Cardinal and Cleveland High School graduate (Reseda, CA) was originally selected by the Dodgers with the 16th overall pick in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *