For the 5th consecutive year, the Baseball Blogger Alliance came together to vote on the best ballplayers of this past season. The BBA is a collection of several hundred Baseball writers and hardcore fans from throughout North America - covering every team, the game's history and fantasy Baseball fanatics. We are encouraged to use one another to deepen our understanding of the game and the teams that play it. Go here to find more about this organization.
Unlike in past years, there is little controversy in this years winners. Go here to check out who I chose as this seasons best in the National League.
Here are the winners from the BBA:
2013 Connie Mack Award - Best Manager
American League – John Farrell – Boston Red Sox
The Red Sox skipper won the closest of all the votes held by the BBA this year. Garnering 38% of the vote, Farrell held off the Cleveland Indians’ Terry Francona by less than 3%.
National League – Clint Hurdle – Pittsburgh Pirates
Hurdle was the recipient of 79% of the vote from the BBA membership.
2013 Willie Mays Award - Top Rookies
American League – Wil Myers – Tampa Bay Rays
Myers would arrive on the scene in June and immediately show that the hype was worthy of his presence. Myers earned 95% of the BBA vote this year.
National League – Jose Fernandez – Miami Marlins
The National League winner had to withstand a late-season surge from Dodgers’ outfielder Yasiel Puig. Fernandez produced a season that could withstand Puig-mania and earned the BBA’s respect along the way with 71% of the vote.
2013 Goose Gossage Award – Best Relief Pitcher
2013 Walter Johnson Award –Best Starting PitcherAmerican League – Koji Uehara – Boston Red Sox
Uehara joined the Red Sox this season and became one of the most polarizing figures on the team. His 21 saves were a key part of the Red Sox success this year and his continued success throughout the postseason made him a star. His 52% of the BBA vote was good enough to hold off Greg Holland of the Kansas City Royals, who garnered 36% of the BBA support for his fine season.
National League – Craig Kimbrel – Atlanta Braves
In 2011, Atlanta Braves closer Craig Kimbrel was awarded both the Goose Gossage and Willie Mays awards. Last season, Kimbrel received 87% of the vote to claim his second consecutive award as the National League’s premier relief pitcher. Kimbrel received an astonishing 90% of the vote from the Alliance to claim his third straight Goose Gossage Award.
American League – Max Scherzer – Detroit Tigers
The Tigers’ pitcher was dominant throughout most of the season and the Alliance recognized that with 95% of their vote.
National League – Clayton Kershaw – Los Angeles Dodgers
Not to be outdone, Kershaw garnered 98% of the vote on the National League side of the BBA. Kershaw proved once again to be dominant and the BBA recognized that by making him a two-time winner of the Johnson award (2011).
2013 Stan Musial Award - Best Ballplayer
American League – Mike Trout – Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
The Angels’ outfielder would garner his second-consecutive Musial Award by holding off the Tigers’ Miguel Cabrera once again in 2013. Trout earned 65% of the Alliance vote while Cabrera would take the other 35%, marking the second straight year that the two players would receive the only votes.
National League – Andrew McCutchen – Pittsburgh Pirates
The Pirates phenomenal season comes to fruition for one of the team’s most consistent stars. McCutchen was the team’s leader on and off the field and the Alliance recognized his importance to the great run the Pirates produced. Cutch received 69% of the BBA vote to earn his first Musial award.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *