Here is a May 18, 1945 AP press photo of 3 members of the US Navy ballteam. From left to right; Johnny Vander Meer of the Cincinnati Reds, Pinky Mays of the Philadelphia Phillies and Pee Wee Reese (at center). Pic via eBay.
- Via Asia Society.org, Hyun-Jin Ryu received the Cultural Achievement Award from the Asia Society Korea Center.
- Dan at MyKBO shares some video from a charity ballgame in Korea that featured Ryu playing some first base and batting 4th in the lineup.
- SB Nation names Clayton Kershaw the NL's Best Pitcher. Does he get an actual award for this?
- Juan Uribe was named the Dodgers 2013 Wilson Defensive Player of the Year, via a tweet from the @Dodgers.
Juan Uribe has been named the #Dodgers 2013 Wilson Defensive Player of the Year. Congrats, Papi! https://t.co/aorngs1u4J
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) November 8, 2013
- Via Chad Moriyama, "2013 Rule 5 Draft: Dodgers prospects to consider adding to the 40-man". The first 3 selections are great choices, and I suspect we'll be seeing them at Dodger Stadium sometime next season.
- Via Ken Rosenthal at FoxSports talks about some rumors; "Tulowitzki, Dodger vets top trade talk".
That possibility, in fact, already is in the works; the Dodgers, according to major-league sources, are listening on Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and Carl Crawford, telling prospective suitors, “If you’re interested in one of them, make us an offer.”
- Recent Dodger signee Alexander Guerrero played in his first professional game yesterday for Gigantes Del Cibao in the Dominican Winter Leagues, and he got a hit in his first at-bat. In his second at-bat, he doubled down the left field line to drive in 2 with the bases loaded. His third time up he struck out. Check out a pic below of him in uniform before the game.
Alexander Guerrero listo para el juego de hoy. #CaemeAtras pic.twitter.com/gHfzojPgar
— Gigantes Del Cibao (@GigantesSFM) November 7, 2013
- Via Tom Bartsch at Sports Collectors Digest, "Memory Lane Preview: 1954 Dodgers Signed Ball has Quite a Story".
“Jackie Robinson took me by the hand and said, ‘To commemorate this occasion, I’m going to get the team to sign this baseball’,” Dr. Davis remembered. Minutes later, the boy was in possession of an official National League ball signed by 22 Dodgers, including six future Hall of Famers, plus Newcombe and Gilliam. It was a treasured possession and he proudly displayed it as he grew into a man.
Watch a video of the owner talking about it below.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *