Throughout Spring Training the Dodgers PR department sends out helpful daily notes from Camelback Ranch, and I am happy to pass them along.
|(twitter link @Dodgers)|
THE REAL DEAL: Today was the third day of workouts for pitchers and catchers at Camelback Ranch – Glendale and the report date for the rest of the squad. Even though many position players have already reported, some new faces arrived today, including Mark Ellis, Jerry Hairston Jr., Tony Gwynn Jr., Nick Punto, Hanley Ramirez and Juan Uribe. Tomorrow will be the first full squad workout of 2013 and the Dodgers will be sporting their home white uniforms.
ONE STEP CLOSER: Dodger hurlers Clayton Kershaw, Josh Beckett, Chris Capuano, Chad Billingsley, Stephen Fife, Matt Magill, Matt Guerrier, Javy Guerra, Shawn Tolleson, Paco Rodriguez, Kelvin De La Cruz, Chris Withrow, Gregory Infante and Mark Lowe all tossed their second bullpens of the spring this morning as Glendale heated up to 70 degrees by 11 a.m.
- Last season, the Dodger pitching staff, under the tutelage of eighth-year pitching coach Rick Honeycutt, allowed just 122 home runs, which was the fewest in the Major Leagues. Since Honeycutt’s first year in 2006, Los Angeles pitchers have given up just 936 home runs, the fewest in baseball over that time. Under the heading, “strange but true”, you can file this nugget: The Dodger pitching staff has allowed exactly 67 home runs at Dodger Stadium in each of the last three seasons.
|(twitter link @Dodgers)|
WE ARE BLESSED: Dodger broadcast partner PRIME TICKET will televise an additional four games this spring at Camelback Ranch - Feb. 25 vs. CHC, Feb. 28 vs. LAA, March 7 vs. Texas and March 18 vs. Arizona. And the good news keeps coming as Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully will call all four telecasts. It was previously announced that Scully would call the KCAL 9 games on March 17 vs. MIL and March 26 vs. COL, bringing his grand total to six Cactus League games.
- It has been quite some time since Scully was behind the microphone for at least six Spring Training contests in either Arizona or Florida and this will be the most Cactus League games he has ever called.
RISE OF THE PENGUIN: The Dodgers would like to wish a very happy birthday to Dodger legend Ron Cey, who turns 65 today. Cey will join fellow Dodger alumni Manny Mota, Tim Leary, Fernando Valenzuela, Maury Wills and Steve Yeager for Camelback Ranch - Glendale’s inaugural Legends Weekend on Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 23-24. Former greats from both the Dodgers and White Sox franchises will be on hand to sign autographs and greet fans from 11:30 am-12:30 pm before being introduced in pregame ceremonies for the club’s first Cactus League game at Camelback Ranch – Glendale against the White Sox at 1:05 pm on Saturday, Feb. 23. I previously posted about the Legends Weekend yesterday- check out that information here.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *