Heritage Auctions shared a pic on twitter of an incredible 1913 Brooklyn Superbas (as the Dodgers were known back then) game jersey that just got consigned to them for their upcoming April auction. Wow!
- Dave Roberts is cancer free and a coach with the Padres, via Jay Paris at UT San Diego.
“It is that sense of optimism,'' said Roberts, as the Padres' first-base coach readies for Tuesday's reporting date. “Everyone is excited, and for the most part, everyone is healthy. The bodies are feeling good after the winter workouts.''
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, Hyun-Jin Ryu impresses in first Spring pitching session.
"It was really good," said Ellis. "His fastball had command on both sides and the ball came out really well, with life to it. He has an easy, calm motion. He wasn't trying to impress the first time out, like some guys, and overthrow. He knew what he wanted to do and executed."
- Via Yonhap News Agency, Hyun-Jin Ryu is happy about his first throwing session.
"For a first session, I felt pretty good," Ryu said. "I had good command of my fastball. I plan to throw 10 more pitches in my next session on Sunday and throw more breaking pitches. My curve didn't break as much as I wanted."
The most interesting tidbit, though, has to do with a particular vice Ryu still maintains.
Pressed about his smoking habits, Ryu shot back, "Smoking isn't a crime. I won't pay attention (to media reports)."
- Apparently, Ryu is getting some flack for his smoking habit. So, former Dodger pitcher Seo Jae-Weong comes to his defense, and in the process makes an interesting comment, via Yonhap News Agency.
"More than half the MLB players smoke," claimed Seo, who pitched for three teams, including the Dodgers, from 2002 to 2007. "When I was with the Dodgers, a lot of pitchers and infielders smoked."
- Watch the Vin Scully interview that got Mike Piazza so bent out of shape, via Glen Walker at KTLA. It's nothing like what Piazza describes. Scully hardly had it out for him.
- In the least surprising news of the Spring, Mattingly names Brandon League as our closer, via ESPN.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *