This post is coming several weeks late. Last month I participated in a Group Break put together by Nachos Grande. It included a whole bunch of different boxes; including 2006 Bazooka, 2003 Fleer Showcase and 2001 Topps Archives. Check out the booty below. Click any pic to embiggen.
The 2006 Bazooka cards above takes a look at a better time in the Dodger franchise. The Dodgers were to make the playoffs for the second time in three years. Andre Ethier would establish himself as a everyday outfielder and a future star on the team. We would be introduced to Matt Kemp, Russell Martin, James Loney and Chad Billingsley that year. The future was bright. Heck, mix in some stable and productive veterans like Nomar and Jeff Kent and a championship was sure to be around the corner. Man, that was a long time ago.
The below cards are what I was really hoping for. Here a bunch of Dodgers from the 2001 Topps Archives set. I had heard of the set and seen plenty of pictures, but this is the first time any of them have been added to my collection.
My one hit isn't even a Dodger. As a consolation each participant was given a second team in the group break and my team was the Diamondbacks.
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Will Smith with Wango Tango at Dodger Stadium in 1999, via LADodgers Twitter: yfrog Josh Rawitch.
- Best Plascke take-down ever, via Barstool Sports.
Oh, I get it. He’s another one of these pedantic, mealy mouthed kooks jumping behind the wheel of the Pussification of America bus and stepping on the gas. Kids competing against each other? Some failing, others succeeding? Only one winner and everyone else loses? Oh, the horror! These kids will be scarred for life! They’ll never be able to get over the pain! It’s child abuse! Child abuuusse!
- Ted Sobel speaks with Justin Sellers.
Sellers was coming off of last night’s cloud 9 game when he collected his first big league hit and today he topped that by sending Houston starter Jordan Lyles to the showers with his first major league homer.(Hat Tip VSIMH)
- Dodgerbobble takes a look at bobbleheads from the California League.
- GCRL reminds us that today is the 19th anniversary of Kevin Gross's no-hitter.
- Are you ready for the Yu Darvish insanity tour, via Yakyubaka? He has hired American agents. (Hat Tip: Baseball Mussings)
- Howard Cole of the OC Register speaks with Baseball Reliquary's Terry Cannon.
- Best list ever! Top 5 athlete movie/tv appearances, via Deadspin.
- OK. This is just plain awesome. Check out a a 360VR interior view of the Space Shuttle, here.
- This is an epic marriage proposal. Complete with the San Diego Comic Con as a backdrop and Patrick Stewart saying, "engaged."