I remain a huge fan of Raffy. The above pic is of Rafael Furcal and Andre Ethier, via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2013. See more pics from Jon here. BTW, the the Dodgers are on the brink of elimination today. Game 5 is at 1:07 PM.
- ICYMI: My post yesterday on 1961 MLB letters regarding housing segregation during Spring Training; including Dodger GM Bavasi writing, "NOW GET LOST!"
- Dayn Perry at CBS shares an hilarious photoshopped photo featuring the Red Sox, Puig and rally bear.
- "Why Don't The St. Louis Cardinals Respect The Game?" Via Tom Ley at Deadspin. Just brilliant!
- Keith Good at Bugs & Cranks introduces us to Puiging.
- Dennis Eckersley is all class. On the anniversary of Kirk Gibson's monumental 1988 World Series walk-off homer, Eck posted this on his twitter:
Happy Anniversary Kirk Gibson! #postseason #athletics #dodgers
— Dennis Eckersley (@Eck43) October 15, 2013
- Via Chris Olds at Beckett, they share some preview pics of the Topps Update set that's out today. Check out the Puig and Ryu cards below.
- "Fractured rib forces early exit for Hanley," via Austin Laymance at MLB.com.
"He's feeling a little something," Mattingly said. "I think we're seeing it at the plate. It looks for me a little bit back-sided. When guys can really hit, they're going to use that front side. It looks like he's kind of favoring, going to that back side. He says he's OK. We'll keep hanging in there with him. We'll see where we're at."
But, he expects to play this afternoon, per Laymance at MLB.com.
- "One wrong pitch the difference for Nolasco," via Chris Haft at MLB.com.
"When you see an executed pitch, like Ricky threw, hit out of the ballpark, it makes you know right away it was the wrong pitch call," Ellis said.
- "Dodgers’ TV Network Will Be Approved, Baseball COO Manfred Says," via Scott Soshnick & Peter Schwartz at Bloomberg.com.
- "Revealed: The Story Behind the Dodgers’ Red Numbers," via Paul Lukas at Uni Watch.
In other words, the Dodgers had created a new set of jerseys with the red numbers in anticipation of appearing in the 1951 World Series. But as we all know, Bobby Thomson and the Giants had something to say about that, and the Dodgers never got to appear in the ’51 Fall Classic. So they decided to use the number-clad jerseys as their standard home design the following year.
- I am not the least bit surprised. "Court Papers: Fake Jerseys Ran Rampant at Card Companies", via Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *