Here's a vintage photo of the construction work being done to build Dodger Stadium at Chavez Ravine. It was posted up by a twitter account called @Dodgers_History. You should check them out. They've recently put up a bunch of vintage stadium pics from Brooklyn and LA.
- Via Amanda Rykoff at The Outside Corner, "Curaçao Baseball Week 2013: Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen stays humble". Here's an interview with our closer.
Amanda Rykoff: You switched from catcher to power pitcher. What was the adjustment like for you?Kenley Jansen: It was a tough decision back then. To me I feel like it was a life learning experience. I almost wanted to quit and I wanted to ask for my release. I was almost suspended. Talking to my family and all these people and I decided to give it a try. And now today -- it took me a year to be in the major leagues -- and today I’m a closer just doing it.
- Via Bryan Hoch at MLB.com, "Mattingly realistic when it comes to Hall chances".
"My first year of eligibility, I pretty much knew I wasn't going to make it or anything," Mattingly told ESPN earlier this year. "I don't pay that much attention to it, to be honest with you. It's to the point now where it comes up and you're like, 'Oh, it's over,' and you go on."
- In other HOF ballot news, Jeff Kent is on the ballot for the first time. Via Chris Haft at MLB.com, "Team success mattered most to Hall candidate Kent".
"When the bell rang for me, I was fighting to win," said Kent, who hit 377 home runs and captured the National League Most Valuable Player Award in 2000 with the Giants. "All I wanted to do was win. I knew that if I focused on winning, I would be OK. And it worked out that way."
- Panini America is reviving the Donruss Baseball card brand. Via Chris Olds at Beckett, he shares some preview pics for 2014 Donruss Baseball cards; including the Yasiel Puig card on the right.
- Via Greg Zakwin at Yahoo, "The Biggest Turkey in Los Angeles Dodgers History: Frank McCourt".
- Night Owl Cards proves once again why it's one of the best Baseball card hobby blogs around. Check out his latest post, "If you can't join 'em count 'em", that ranks Baseball cards sets by highest percentage of mustached ballplayers.
- Skip Schumaker has signed a 2-year contract to play for the Reds, via USA Today.
- Via AM570, listen to Ned Colletti tell Petros and Money what made this season so tough.
- An old friend alert! Via Steve Adams at MLB Trade Rumors, Luis Cruz goes to Japan - "Luis Cruz Signs With Chiba Lotte Marines".
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *