The above photo that Steve Garvey tweeted yesterday is just awesome. It features Gil Hodges with a very young Steve Garvey.
- Dylan Hernandez at the LA Times was at the Hyun-Jin Ryu press conference yesterday and filed a report.
Speaking in front of a group of 40 to 50 reporters, most of them South Korean, Boras compared Ryu to only one pitcher: Mark Buehrle.
“Body-type-wise, size-wise, ability, he reminds me a lot of Buehrle,” Boras said.
- Ken Gurnick with MLB.com was there, as well, and filed his own report. On his relationship with Chan Ho Park:
"Chan Ho was very influential to me and very helpful, and [giving] me insight into playing in the Major Leagues and giving me the dream to play in the Major Leagues," he said. "As a baseball alumni, he's teaching me the ropes."
He also expresses some confidence:
"Obviously, there's pressure in all of baseball," said Ryu, who has a brother living in New Jersey. "From my experience in Korea, I have no doubt I can succeed in the U.S. American players are bigger. If I think of the way I pitched at Daejeon Stadium, nothing is different about baseball."
- Chris Olds at Beckett provides an early peek at Topps 2013 MLB Sticker Collection. Check out a early photo of the Clayton Kershaw card on the right.
- Chris Olds at Beckett also shares some early preview pics of Topps 2013 Opening Day Baseball card set. See the Matt Kemp on the left.
- Ken Davidoff of the NY Post shares his conversation with Dodgers President Stan Kasten.
- Left Field Pavilion shares a great old photo of construction crews building Dodger Stadium.
- Wow! I need to pay attention to the World Baseball classic. Apparently, the team of my cultural background just blew out the Thailand Baseball team. The Philippines destroyed them 8 to 2. Woo Hoo! Go Team!! Watch highlights below. (Hat Tip: JayBee Anama at Topps Baseball Card Blog) I need to find me one of those caps!
- Unfortunately, my joy quickly turned to sadness as I discovered that Chinese Tapai (Taiwan) destroyed the Philippines early this morning 16 to 0, on a one-hitter. Boooo!!! I won't be sharing highlights of this game.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *