As you probably know, the Dodgers held a press conference this afternoon to formally introduce Hyun-Jin Ryu to the masses. It was part photo opportunity, part PR blitz complete with the very first real Ryu Baseball card (as opposed to my fake fantasy cards I make on photoshop). Check out the pic below tweeted by the Dodgers PR department. They apparently handed out the card to attendees.
All I can say is that I want one.
Just before they took the stage, Ned Colletti, Scott Boras, and another unknown person gathered around Ryu as he signed the contract. Pic via @Dodgers on twitter.
Then, they brought Ryu to the stage in front of a legion of reporters. He put on the uniform and gave some informal remarks.
Somewhere in the middle, Ned Colletti did a belly flop off the stage. I like to imagine that it was a glorious crash with mangled bodies and the sound of a loud thud to accentuate the situation. Instead, it was likely a little trip that apparently wasn't recorded for our viewing pleasure.
Anyway, Hyun-Jin Ryu spoke to the masses and even answered a few questions. Unfortunately, it was difficult to get an answer in English since the interpreter fumbled his way through the interview. Nevertheless, we were able to gather some tidbits like:
- He grew up watching Chan Ho Park and is excited about following in his footstep as a Dodger
- His goals for next season is to win 10 games or more with a 2.00 ERA
- Ryu also wants to win more games than Chan Ho Park over his career
- He likes to use his fastball and change-up to get hitters out
- He's eager to learn the hitters and is confident that once he does he will succeed
BTW, you can see a bunch of pics from Roberto at Vin Scully is My Homeboy. Also, watch a bit of the press conference below.
Oh... One other thing. The Dodgers tweeted the below pic of Ryu doing the "Gangnam Style" dance. I'm both embarrassed and giddy about it. After all, I refuse to believe that Gangnam Style is out of style.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *