Panini unveiled some sneak peek photographs of their upcoming 2012 National Treasures Baseball set that will be going live soon. Why they continue to use the 2012 year for a new set when it's already 2013, I do not know. What I do know is that this is one fantastic looking set. Check out the Jackie Robinson and Pee Wee Reese book cards shown here. Frankly, I have a hard time believing the Jackie card uses a real game-used jersey. A REAL Jackie Robinson gamer would be worth tens of thousands of dollars today (maybe 6 figures), and considering the recent controversy and indictments surrounding memorabilia dealers who sold to card manufacturers it is only prudent to be careful. Still, it is great looking card.
- William at Foul Bunt makes note that former AAGPBL player, Sophie Kurys, "The Flint Flash" as she was known, passed away on Sunday. RIP, Sophie. A phenomenal biography on Sophie can be found at the SABR Baseball Biography Project, here. In her MVP season in 1946 she stole 201 bases. 201!
- Clayton Kershaw was mighty impressive in his first live-batter pitching session yesterday, via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com.
"A couple guys took swings," said catcher A.J. Ellis, "and they were embarrassed."
- JP Hoornstra at Inside the Dodgers provides an update to the upgrades being done to the Dodger Stadium clubhouse area.
“We had the world’s worst clubhouse,” Kasten said. “I said to Sandy (Koufax), it was substandard in your day and it hasn’t been improved since.”
- Jesse from LA Inspiration shares his weekend at Camelback Ranch. Go here.
- As always, Jon SooHoo has a bunch of great photos available to view online on his blog, here.
- Only Hyun-Jin Ryu and Yasiel Puig make Baseball America's Top 100 prospect list for 2013.
- Check out a great vintage photo, circa 1923, at the Shorpy blog of a sporting goods store window display. I love this kind of stuff.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *