The above pic is from Dodger photographer Jon SooHoo. Check out more of his photos from yesterday on his blog, here.
- Today is the Dodgers' open tryouts at Camelback Ranch and CBS has a great story about a wounded veteran who is there to show off his stuff. Check it out here.
Calling the opportunity a “dream”, Jacobs will take his skills to Dodgers spring training in Arizona after an invitation from Dodger legend Tommy Lasorda, whom he met at a California Disabled Veterans Business Alliance meeting and shared his dream.
“He can hit major league pitching,” said friend and former Angels star pitcher Justin Speier. “I have seen it first hand.”
- Alex Cora at Sons of Steve Garvey is stalking Sandy Koufax.
- Mark Langill, the Dodgers official historian, tells us that today is the anniversary of the infamous living room boxing match in Cuba between pitcher Hugh Casey and Ernest Hemingway... Yes, the writer. Hemingway was considered one heck of a crazy drunk, so when he offered up a duel (with whatever weapon Casey wanted) the next evening Hugh declined.
- Mattingly is pleased with Hanley Ramirez's work at shortstop, via Bill Plunkett at the OC Register.
"Wally's (Tim Wallach) totally happy with his effort and what he's looking like," Mattingly said. "We film it and look at it pretty much every day. We're real happy with where he's going.
- Apparently, Topps is now in the t-shirt selling business. Check out some of their vintage-style wares here.
- I had missed this from last year, Jim Fuller at the New Haven Register shares the story of when Yale almost upset the Brooklyn Dodgers.
The showdown on a frigid afternoon at Yale Field was not the only time the Yale baseball team played host to a star-studded major league squad. But watching the Bulldogs come tantalizingly close to knocking off a Brooklyn Dodgers team coming off a 104-win season made for one of the most scintillating baseball games played at the historic facility.
- Panini just released some preview pics of a new Baseball card product that they'll be releasing shortly (in April, I think) called 2012 Prizm Baseball; including the Kemp card below. As you can see, they will be very shiny cards. Shiny enough to blind you.
- Grantland tackles the Mona Lisa of Baseball cards in their newest '30 for 30 Documentary Series' called the "The Holy Grail: The T206 Honus Wagner."
- The Topps Archives stumbled across a rare find - a 1967 Topps Venezuelan Baseball card album. This is arguably one of the more iconic foreign made Baseball card sets; due primarily to the 'Retirado' subset filled with Hall of Famers.
- Roberto at Vin Scully is My Homeboy post up a couple of ESPN videos featuring the Dodgers as a part of their '30 Clubs in 30 Days' series.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *