Check out this great photo of Sandy Koufax pitching to Stan "The Man" Musial that was posted up on reddit the other day, via carver1976. As noted by another poster, LetsGetRamblin:
9/17/63. Musial singling in the 7th. I noticed that the hit actually broke up a no-hitter, so I searched it, and found a description of the at bat in the book "Koufax" on Google Books. (Bottom of page 159.) Photo by Neil Leifer.
- Via Dodgers historian Mark Langill, we learn that today is the anniversary of the day former Dodgers skipper Wilbert "Uncle Robbie" Robinson attempted to catch a Baseball dropped from a plane. As the story goes, instead of a ball a grapefruit was substituted, so when Uncle Robbie caught it, it exploded.
- FanGraphs shares their list of Top 100 Baseball prospects, and 4 Dodgers make the cut: #91 Zach Lee #96 Chris Reed #97 Corey Seager #99 Yasiel Puig.
- Forbes wonders if the Oracle of Omaha, Warren Buffet, would have paid as much for the Dodgers.
Walter and company had the option of purchasing the Houston Astros, a lackluster franchise but one in the fourth-biggest market in America. But Kasten said he and Walter agreed, “If something comes up with the Dodgers, we have to look at that much more seriously.” They feared they might have to pay $900 million. They later realized if they could do the deal for $1.3 billion it would be a bargain. But the bidding passed $2 billion and they had not reached their choking point. Only time will tell if the price was a good one, but early results point in their favor.
- Thanks to Left Field Pavilion, I've been enjoying my time checking out a message board called Brooklyn Dodger Memories.
- Via Dylan Hernandez at the LA Times, Josh Beckett is looking good.
“It seems like he’s even sharper now,” Manager Don Mattingly said after the Dodgers’ 6-2 defeat to the Cincinnati Reds Tuesday at Goodyear Ballpark.
Beckett had another solid outing, limiting the Reds to a run and two hits over 4 1/3 innings. Beckett has a 0.96 earned-run average in three starts.
- Listen to Dodger Talk with Kevin Kennedy and David Vasseg, here. It's the March 12th edition.
- Don Mattingly speaks with Mike Lupica at ESPN radio to discuss the Dodgers. Listen to it here.
- Just because I happen to be listening to their album as I write this. Below is live footage of Joy Division playing She's Lost Control.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *