On a sweltering Sunday afternoon, rookie reliever Jose Dominguez was on fire. Pic via twitter @Dodgers.
- Via Bill Plaschke at the LA Times, "Dodger Stadium usher worked to the end: Ira Hawkins had been with the team since it came to Los Angeles in 1958. The Dodgers became his family, the stadium his home. He was 'a real institution,' a fellow usher said of Hawkins, who died in June."
- Josh Beckett is done for the season, via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA.
Beckett consulted with team physician Dr. Neal ElAttrache and with nerve specialist Dr. Greg Pearl. Beckett will have the surgery the week of July 8 in Dallas, to be performed by Pearl.
- Check out this great billboard artwork in Brooklyn made by artist Raymond Pettibon for High Line Art. It features Jackie Robinson. (Hat Tip: Let's Go Dodgers) Check out a better close-up view of the billboard here. (This pic via Reddit: piss_n_boots)
The drawing evokes a longstanding history well-known to baseball fans: the departure of the Dodgers from Brooklyn to Los Angeles. Pettibon alludes to an East Coast-West Coast feud throughout the drawing: on the left he writes “Moses,” a reference to both Robert Moses, the New York City power broker who played a major role in the Dodgers move from Brooklyn to L.A., and the biblical Moses, who led his people on an exodus to the promised land. “Jackie” refers to Jackie Robinson, the first African American to play in the Major League, while “Where Brooklyn at?” references the chant from the famous freestyle rap battle between East Coast rapper Notorious B.I.G. and West Coast rapper Tupac Shakur.
- Gellman at Sports Cards Uncensored takes a look at the prices for Puig's 2013 Bowman Inception cards.
- Newest Dodger reliever, Jose Dominguez had an impressive debut. Via Bill Shaikin on twitter:
Jose Dominguez threw 10 fastballs in his first MLB inning: 2 at 101 MPH, 1 at 100 MPH, 6 at 99 MPH, 1 at 97 MPH. #Dodgers
— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) June 30, 2013
- Dodger Penguin has a recap of Yasiel Puig's autograph signing at Frank & Sons over the weekend.
- David's Autograph Signing was at Viva Los Dodgers on Sunday and shares a report; including getting Adrian Gonzalez's autograph.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *