The 11th edition of Dodgers Playbill debuts today at Dodger Stadium with Zack Greinke on the cover. The playbill is distributed at all Dodger Stadium parking gates and Fan Services stations during the game.
- Via Eric Nusbaum at Deadspin, "Where Yasiel Puig Comes From". Just awesome!
- "Withrow relishing new opportunity in bullpen," via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com.
- This is excellent, and must be said. Check out Barry Petchesky's column at Deadspin entitled, "This Is The Worst Column About Yasiel Puig Until Later Today, Probably".
The common thread running between all these "bench Puig for the sake of the Dodgers" columns is the idea that Puig is stubborn—he doesn't want to fix the holes in his game, like skipping cutoff men or pressing for an extra base—and needs an authority figure to rein him in. Conversely, Bryce Harper is still learning, and it'd be foolish to try and stanch his passion.
So what's the difference between Harper and Puig, if not their countries of birth? Excellent question.
- Via Jeff Sullivan at FanGraphs, "Today in Yasiel Puig Being Really Great".
What we can reasonably conclude is that this is at least among the longest non-homers, and quite possibly the very longest for 2013.
- Via Christopher Jackson at Examiner.com, "Isotopes Notebook: Moylan pitches in to help after tragic incident".
“It’s just a tragic, tragic story. He was super intelligent, super hard-working and (became) a victim of a senseless crime.”
- Huh... So this is what they do when a player catches a cold and they have to fly. I wish these were provided on normal commercial flights. Via Hyun-Jin Ryu's twitter. Translated: "From Miami caught a cold ... Blah blah for another team member" - maybe "don't want to give to a team member"?
마이애미에서 감기 걸렸어요... 딴 팀원들을 위해서 ㅋㅋㅋ pic.twitter.com/apIy5H2HOO
— Hyun-Jin Ryu (@HyunJinRyu99) August 22, 2013
- Nick Diunte at Examiner.com writes a great story about a balllayer who reached 4,000 career hits who you likely don't know - Jigger Statz.
“They interviewed him out in New York and they had the three outfielders, Snider, Mantle and Mays. They asked him who the best one he’s ever seen was. He (Duke Snider) said, ‘Jigger Statz.’ Duke said this. All the writers went, ‘Who? Who?’ like a bunch of owls.”
- Read Ryan Braun's apology here. Frankly, I don't believe him when he writes that this was a one-time thing.
- This is what my nightmares are made of. Please let the 80's die. Here is the newest pop sensation - Corey Feldman. Really... Corey Feldman.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *