The Dodgers held a special event at Dodger Stadium for Veterans Day, yesterday. About 100 members of the armed forces came out for some batting practice. Check out Tommy Lasorda in the photo above addressing the veterans, pic via twitter @Dodgers. Austin Laymance at MLB.com writes about the afternoon: "Dodgers welcome troops for Veterans Day". Jon SooHoo was there and shares a whole bunch of pics, here.
- Via Mark Saxon at ESPN, "Some pluses and minuses of a Kershaw mega-deal".
- Bill Vouroulias at FoxNews Latino speaks with Alexander Guerrero: "Newest Cuban Defector In Big Leagues, Alexander Guerrero, Says Talent Back Home Almost Gone". (Hat Tip: Tony Jackson at Dodger Scribe)
“Now that people like Yasiel [Puig] and José Dariel [Abreu] are gone,” the Dodgers’ recent signee told Fox News Latino, “there are only five or six top-level ballplayers left.” After mentioning slugger Alfredo Despaigne he added, “There aren’t many others.”
- True to the Blue recaps his autograph experience at Frank & Sons - he got Reggie Smith and Steve Lyons.
- SCP Auctions announced that a couple of significant game-used Jackie Robinson bats will be on auction later this month. Details here.
- Shawn Anderson of the Hall of Very Good shares his interview with "The Genius" Lanny Poffo, brother of Randy "Macho Man" Savage.
LANNY: My brother (Macho Man) was a great hitter. He had a lot of pop in his bat. His swing was "a little too long" for a lot of the hitting coaches. His shoulder injuries led to throwing problems. He taught himself to throw left handed and signed with the White Sox as a first baseman in 1975. He made it through several cuts in Spring Training but was unconditionally released before the season started. He called it quits. He joined my Dad and me in Toledo, Ohio where we were working in Michigan, Ohio and Ontario. Ten years of hard work later, “The Macho Man” made his WWF debut.
- Josh Jackson at MiLB shares his picks for All-Stars within the Dodgers organization.
- JP Hoornstra at Inside the Dodgers tells us about Kemp and Billingley, and their ability to participate in Spring Training. JP hears from their agent, Dave Stewart.
- Thw BBWAA elected Jose Fernandez as the NL Rookie of the Year. Congrats! I definitely believe he was more deserving. Dodger Yasiel Puig came in 2nd with 4-1st place votes and Hyun-Jin Ryu came in 4th, overall. Check out the official announcement from the BBWAA, here.
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "(Onelki) Garcia gets cleanup surgery on pitching elbow".
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *