Matt Kemp met with former President Bill Clinton yesterday to discuss kids and sports at the Clinton Health Matters Conference at La Quinta. The pic above via Kemp's twitter. Ramona Shelburne at ESPN has more background, "Kobe, Bill Clinton talk youth sports". (Hat Tip: Jon Weisman at Dodgers Insider)
"This may be the least active generation of young people in history," Clinton said. "The problem is that this can have lasting, damaging effects on all of them and actually wind up shortening their life expectancy. So we're doing this because there are simple solutions to this problem that will pay massive dividends."
- Here's an early look at the Dodgers Fleece Blanket the Dodgers will be giving away to fans on Tuesday, April 22nd. See it on the right.
- Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider, "Rachel Robinson nominated for Shrine of the Eternals".
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Clayton Kershaw & the price of doing business". IT's being reported that the Dodgers and Clayton are talking about a 10-year, $30Mil per deal.
- BTW, Brian Wilson has been chosen by the fans as the 2014 Fan Vote Bobblehead, via @Dodgers on twitter. This bobblehead will be given out Thursday, June 26th. See the full Dodgers promotional schedule here.
- Mark Saxon at ESPN writes, "Would Dodgers steal Tanaka from the desperate Yankees?"
“The Yankees have the greater need, and maybe a little more pressure to sign Tanaka after learning they won't have to pay A-Rod in 2014,” Olney writes. “The Dodgers are perceived by some rival officials to be more shameless in their bidding, untethered to market prices shaped by other teams, and more driven by what they want.”
- Three Dodgers filed for salary arbitration, via Bill Shaikin on twitter. Don't fret, this is just a formality.
Officially filing for salary arbitration: Kershaw, AJ Ellis, Jansen from #Dodgers; Freese, Frieri, Jepsen from #Angels.
— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) January 14, 2014
- Via David Brown at Big League Stew, "Before A-Rod: Steve Garvey took union to Supreme Court — and lost".
- Via Bob Lemke, "American ballplayers caught in 1950 Venezuela police riot". Former Dodger Clem Labine and 14 other Americans got beat up and mistreated by Venezuelan police following the assassination of Provisional President Colonel Carlos Delgado Chalbaud.
- Chris Olds at Beckett shares some preview images of Topps 2014 Pro Debut Minor League Baseball card set. Check out the Julio Urias card on the left.
- Here's the most recent artist's rendering of the ice at Dodger Stadium.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *