Tommy Lasorda received the NL Bobby Murcer Award on behalf of the Dodgers at the B.A.T. charity dinner last night, pic above via @Dodgers on twitter. Mark Newman at MLB.com has a story up about the event, here.
- Listen to Petros and Money of KLAC-AM speak to Don Newcombe on MLK Day, here.
- Via Rany Jazayerli on Grantland writes a great story on Clayton Kershaw titled, "So Good, So Young".
- Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider writes, "Meet Dodgers third base coach Lorenzo Bundy".
“It was flattering,” Bundy said on being appointed Dodger third base coach. “I’m a very humble person. The opportunity to first, work with the Dodgers has always been very special. Especially growing up, I grew up a Dodger fan per se because of Jackie Robinson. He was someone talked about often in my family. Especially by my dad.”
- Via Dylan Hernandez at the LA Times, "Dodgers' Matt Kemp advised by agent to not rush back for opening day". He also notes that Alexander Guerrero is currently working out in Arizona with Jose Vizcaino at 2nd base.
- Apparently, Matt Kemp wanted to use the phrase "Beast Mode" on some apparel he would be marketing, but it is trademarked by Marshawn Lynch. TMZ tells us that Lynch told Kemp no, and they have a video response from Kemp.
- Masahiro Tanaka chooses the Yankees, via Bryan Hoch at MLB.com.
- Via JP Hoornstra at Inside the Dodgers, "Daily Distractions: Cut fastball could fast-track Ross Stripling to Los Angeles." JP also tells us that Dodger Stadium will have permanent metal detectors onsite by the 2015 season, here.
- Adam Rubin at ESPN tells us that, "Tommy Lasorda blasts A-Rod".
- Mike Petriello at Dodgers Digest provides an update on the 15 Dodgers who are non-roster invitees to Spring Training. It includes word that the Dodgers just signed free agent catchers Miguel Olivo and Griff Erickson to minor league contracts
- Old Time Family Baseball writes, "My New Favorite Baseball Team: Fat Men’s Amusement Company". This is great. Over the years, I've seen vintage postcards featuring these portly men of the ballfield, and I've wondered what there story was. Who are they? Could they play competitive ball? Did they ever try to steal? Unfortunately, there remains few answers, but it was nice to see this story, nonetheless. There's a great video of a real uniform presented on the Antique Roadshow that you have to watch. BTW, I totally disagree with the appraisal. I think at auction, all of the items would sell in excess of the $2k stated - easily.
- Via DSWright at Fire Dog Lake, "Grantland Editor-In-Chief Apologizes For Story That May Have Led To Subject’s Suicide". This is an episode of when reporting goes wrong.
- Night Owl Cards blog has been named the 2013 Best Card blog of the Year for the 3rd straight time. Congrats!
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *