Throughout Spring Training the Dodgers PR department sends out helpful daily notes from Camelback Ranch, and I am happy to pass them along. See what they've written below.
|(Clayton Kershaw, pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014)|
SATURDAY IN THE PARK: The Dodgers completed their ninth full-squad workout today with the club’s Cactus League opener just four days away! Los Angeles will kick off its 25-game exhibition slate on Wednesday against the D-backs at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick.
- With the club’s Cactus League opener in sight, Dodger Manager Don Mattingly announced that left-hander Clayton Kershaw will take the mound for the Dodgers on Wednesday against Arizona.
- Josh Beckett, Paul Maholm, Stephen Fife, Jamey Wright, Chad Billingsley and Paco Rodriguez threw normal bullpens today, while Zack Greinke, Chris Withrow, Pedro Baez, Jarret Martin, Carlos Frias and Red Patterson faced live hitters during simulated innings.
- Yasiel Puig was back in action today after two days off for rest from fouling a ball off his right leg on Wednesday.
- For a second consecutive day, Matt Kemp took live batting practice over on the minor league side.
|(Practice, pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014)|
WE TALKIN’ ABOUT PRACTICE?: The Dodgers will play two intra-squad games tomorrow, Feb. 23 and Monday, Feb. 24 on Field 1 at Camelback Ranch - Glendale. Pitchers scheduled to throw tomorrow include Matt Magill, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Chris Perez, Brian Wilson, Kenley Jansen and J.P. Howell. On Monday, Stephen Fife, Dan Haren, Chris Reed, Paco Rodriguez and Jamey Wright each will pitch.
- Tomorrow’s lineups were constructed by the two team captains, Zack Greinke (Team Koufax) and Matt Kemp (Team Wills), and were posted in the Dodger clubhouse today. Team Koufax’s lineup is as follows: Joc Pederson (CF), Carl Crawford (LF), Yasiel Puig (RF), Scott Van Slyke (1B), A.J. Ellis (C), Clint Robinson (DH), Alex Guerrero (2B), Justin Turner (3B) and Miguel Rojas (SS). Kemp penciled in Team Wills’ lineup with: Dee Gordon (2B), Juan Uribe (3B), Hanley Ramirez (SS), Adrian Gonzalez (1B), Andre Ethier (CF), Tim Federowicz (C), Nick Buss (RF), Mike Baxter (LF) and Chone Figgins (DH).
INKED: The Dodgers today announced the signing of free agent Cuban infielder Erisbel Arruebarrena to a five-year contract. Arruebarrena, 23, posted a .276 career batting average with 67 doubles, 25 triples, 27 homers and 171 RBI in 437 career games in six seasons for Cienfuegos in the Cuban Serie Nacional from 2007-2013. The 6-foot-1, 200-pounder, who is known for his defense, has appeared primarily at shortstop during his career, but has also played second base and third base professionally. Arruebarrena (pronounced Arr-ru-eh-BAHR-ena) was a teammate of Dodger outfielder Yasiel Puig with Cienfuegos in 2010-11.
- To make room on the 40-man roster, the Dodgers designated IF Justin Sellers for assignment.
“THE KID”: Today, the City of Fullerton honored Baseball Hall of Famer and former Dodger Gary Carter by dedicating Field No. 2 at Fullerton Sports Complex in his name. The ceremony was attended by Carter’s wife, Sandy, brother, Gordon, and other family members. Carter grew up in Fullerton and played 19 Major League seasons, including the 1991 campaign with the Dodgers, before his election to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2003. Carter passed away on Feb. 16, 2012 at the age of 57.
|(The plaque for Gary Carter, pic via City of Fullerton on twitter)|
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *