What a great photo of Clayton Kershaw in the midst of pitching a gem of a game last night, pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014. It's only the top of the 5th inning in the photo and Clayton has made just one mistake on the mound. Unfortunately, that miscue resulted in a 2-run home run by Cuban rookie Jose Abreu. No worries though, the Dodgers would come back for 5 big runs in their half of the 6th inning to secure a lead.
- Via Bill Plunkett at the OC Register, "Dodgers top NL – in long games," and they've been warned.
The warning cited a number of Dodgers pitchers for their violations of baseball’s “pace of game” regulations. A number of relievers were cited for taking too long to get from the bullpen to the mound when entering the game. Continued violations could result in $5,000 fines though none of the players have been fined to date.
- Via Doug Padilla at ESPNChicago.com, "Thaw in store? Abreu, Puig to meet in L.A."
"We're going to take it like a normal day in the past," Abreu said. "It's good to play against friends. (Puig) is a friend of mine. There's another guy there that is an infielder, Erisbel Arruebarrena, who played on the same team in Cuba. I'm looking forward to really saying hello to them."
- Chris Olds at Beckett.com gives us a sneak peek at Topps 2014 Bowman Sterling Baseball cards. Check out the Alexander Guerrero card on the right.
- Via Howard Cole at LA Weekly, "In Defense of Matt Kemp."
I have no idea if Kemp will ever regain superstar status and perform to 2011 levels. Maybe not, but it's called a "career year" for a reason. It happens once. Kemp is still the "Bison," he's still a true Dodger, and he really has run into a wall for the organization. He doesn't need artificial ones placed in front of him by his manager. He's earned the benefit of the doubt.
- Chris Withrow will be having Tommy John surgery today, via JP Hoornstra at Inside the Dodgers.
- George Vrechek at Sports Collectors Digest shares his day at the Sports Museum of LA.
- Must have now! Jobu of Major League fame will be getting a card from Topps that will be available only online. Chris Olds at Beckett has the story. Go here to check it out at the Topps website.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *