Overall, the Dodgers selected 21 pitchers (19 right-handers, two left-handers), nine infielders, eight outfielders and two catchers. The club used 32 picks on college players and eight picks on high school prospects.
The Dodgers drafted a player with Major League bloodlines with their 34th-round selection, Notre Dame HS (AZ) outfielder Hunter Bross, who is the son of former big league right-handed pitcher Terry Bross. Bross played two seasons in the Majors for New York-NL (1991) and San Francisco (1993), and was drafted by the Mets in the in the 13th round of the 1987 First-Year Player Draft.
The club also drafted right-handed pitcher Brock Stewart out of Illinois State University (IL), who is the son of Padres' scout Jeff Stewart, in the sixth round. The 22-year-old went with 3-2 with a 2.36 ERA in 11 games (one start) this season for the Redbirds.
Among the college players selected, six Dodger draftees are still playing in the NCAA Men's Baseball tournament, as Stanford right-handed pitcher A.J. Vanegas (11th round) and catcher Mikel Whiting (30th round), Texas Tech catcher Hunter Redman (eighth round), Ole Miss left-handed pitcher Christian Trent (29th round), UL Lafayette right-hander Carson Baranik (33rd round) and UC Irvine right-handed pitcher Sam Moore (40th round) are all still alive in the tournament.
Below are some links to individual stories on some of our draftees:
Sources: #Dodgers in agreement with 2nd-rounder Alex Verdugo on bonus. 62nd pick gets slot: $914.6K http://t.co/Fvi2RvtzJR
— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) June 9, 2014
- Via Chad Moriyama at Dodgers Digest, "Dodgers picks Vanegas, Freeman, Allen highlight rounds 11-25 of the 2014 MLB Draft."
- Via Michael Lananna at MLB.com, "LA's 13th-round pick already carries himself like pro."
"Not much bothers him," Arkansas Tech pitching coach Derrick Wynn said (about Ryan Taylor). "He doesn't get too caught up in baseball. He's not even a sports guy. He likes to pitch. He likes understanding how to pitch, but as far as actually watching sports, he's not a sports junkie.
- Via Chad Moriyama at Dodgers Digest, "Dodgers picks Sylvester, Bain, Moore highlight rounds 26-40 of the 2014 MLB Draft."
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA:
- "2014 MLB Draft: Dodgers select SS Ivan Vela in 21st round" - Link
- "MLB Draft 2014: Dodgers select RHP Bubby Rossman in 22nd round" - Link
- "2014 MLB Draft: Dodgers pick Jimmy Allen in 24th round" - Link
- "Matt Jones drafted by Dodgers in 25th round of MLB Draft" - Link
- "2014 MLB Draft: Dodgers draft Deion Ulmer in 26th round" - Link
- "MLB Draft 2014: Dodgers pick RHP Harlan Richter in 27th round" - Link
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *