Recent call-up Clint Robinson ripped his first Major League hit last night, and it was a timely one. With his pinch hit single he drove in Andre Ethier for the Dodgers only run of the evening to help them win the game, 1 to 0. Graphic above via @Dodgers on twitter. We now stand alone in first place in the West by half a game. Go here to check out Jon SooHoo's pics from the day.
- Via TMZ, "L.A. Dodgers RIPPED BY FIRE OFFICIALS ... Over Hot Foot Prank." (Hat Tip: Vincent Samperio at Dodgers Nation)
The whole thing made national news -- but Captain Jaime Moore from the L.A. City Fire Dept. tells us, "These guys are supposed to be role models and playing with fire is not a joke."
Is TMZ channeling The Onion? I get that playing with fire is bad, but come on now!
- Via Barry Petchesky at Deadspin, he broke the story regarding leaked communications from the Houston Astros that deal with potential trades. See that story here. The Dodgers are mentioned twice, once dated 11/5/2013:
[Stearns] talked with [Dodgers director of baseball contracts] Alex Tamin: LAD is looking to acquire some back end SP depth and up the middle infield depth. They believe they have depth in the pen and would be willing to deal from it (AT mentioned Belisario and Guerra). LAD also has four OF for three spots and would be willing to talk about Crawford
You should note that these communications are straight from the horses mouth, and since they have been verified as real I consider this information rock solid.
None of the above should be a surprise for Dodger fans. The team eventually added Dan Haren a few weeks later and Paul Maholm in February to provide SP depth. They also ended up signing Justin Turner, Chone Figgins, Carlos Triunfel and Erisbel Arruebarrena during the off-season for infield depth after this date. BTW, both Belisario and Guerra were allowed to leave the club for no compensation, so we were never able to find trading partners for them. I do not believe that the mention of Belisario and Guerra means the team was confident in their relief situation - this is supported by the subsequent signings of Jamey Wright and Chris Perez that winter. I just think the Dodgers realized that they both were not in their future plans.
It should also not be a surprise that the only outfielder the team would talk about at that time was Carl Crawford. (In other words, all that reporter talk about the other outfielders being available might be bunk - which should come as no surprise)
What is strange is a note a week later, 11/13/2013:
[Alex Tamin] told [Stearns] that if we consider trading Barnes this off season we should let them know. They view him as a good reserve OF/depth piece.
Did we really need another outfielder? Really? What would be the purpose of adding Barnes as a potential 6th outfielder? Or, was trading an outfielder closer to reality? Or, is there that much lack of faith in Scott Van Slyke?
- Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA writes, "Dodgers prospect Lindsey Caughel named Cal League Pitcher of the Week."
“Individual accolades are great within a team game,” said Caughel after learning of his award. “But without a doubt the most important thing is that our team has put together some incredible games these past 11 games. People are starting to take notice of the talent that’s on this team. The chemistry on our team is second to none and it’s been so much fun playing with these guys. Hopefully I can keep stringing together good starts to help the team win.”
- Noooo! Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Logan White interviews for Padres GM job."
- Blue Skinny Fan shares his Sunday getting autographs from some Dodger legends. Check out his story here.
- Via Ryan G at Chaos and Kanji, "A Perfect Day for Korean Baseball: SK Wyverns Game at Munhak Stadium, Incheon, South Korea." Ryan shares some great photos from a ballgame in Korea.
- David shares some photos from an LA KISS game he attended (arena football). Go here to check them out. It's tough to take the sport seriously, but with ladies dancing in cages how can you not be entertained?
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *