Check out this vintage press photo I ran across on eBay last night. It appears to be a press photo, but doesn't have the type of markings on the reverse you would typically expect to see. Still, it's a wonderful image of some olde-tyme Brooklyn Dodgers on the steps of their dugout. Check out the eBay auction here.
The photo is clearly from 1942; as evidenced by the 'Health' patch on the players left shoulder. From 1942 to 1945 MLB players wore patriotic patches like this for those four years during WWII. This particular patch was only worn for one season, 1942, then was replaced with a similar looking patch - red stripes replaced the 'Health' lettering.
I'm fairly poor at photo identification, but I am certain that that fellow on the far left is Joe Medwick. On his left is Billy Herman. Then, Pee Wee Reese, Pete Reiser, Mickey Owen and Dixie Walker. Let me know if you think otherwise.
Here are some links to check out:
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Dodgers outright Stephen Fife to Triple-A Oklahoma City."
Starting pitcher Stephen Fife cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A Oklahoma City, the team confirmed. Fife is no longer on the 40-man roster.
Fife is likely out for all of 2015 after having Tommy John surgery on Aug. 13 to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.
- Are you ready for Halloween. Well, MiLB on twitter is here to help you out. They posted on a Vin Scully pumpkin template. Print out the PDF and carve your own Scully pumpkin.
"Hi everybody, and a very pleasant #Halloween to you, wherever you may be." The Vin Scully pumpkin template (PDF): http://t.co/xfe4OjZeHX
— MiLB.com (@MiLB) October 13, 2014
- The Topps 2014 Baseball Update Set comes out on Wednesday. On twitter they have been released preview pics to collectors to check out. On the right is a Clayton Kershaw All-Star Game Jumbo Patch Relic card.
- BTW, Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter and Pittsburgh Pirates manager Clint Hurdle were named the 2014 Connie Mack Award winners today by the Baseball Bloggers Alliance. The Connie Mack Award recognizes those considered the top manager for the season. Not bad choices, eh? I, on the other hand, had someone else mind for the NL winner. Go here to see who were my picks for the BBA (Baseball Bloggers Alliance) Post Season Awards.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *