Just to fan those flames further, here's a more politically slanted story by Salon writer Joanna Rothkopf entitled, "St. Louis Cardinals fans yell racist slurs at Ferguson protesters in shocking new video."
On Monday night, mostly white St. Louis Cardinals fans clashed with a group of mostly black protesters peacefully demanding justice for slain teenager Michael Brown. The Cardinals fans were super racist and horrible.No doubt these folks represent the best fans in Baseball.
At one point, an older white man starts yelling at the protesters, shouting, “That’s right! If they’d be working, we wouldn’t have this problem!” Then, the Cardinals fans begin chanting “Let’s go Cardinals!” which morphs into “Let’s go Darren!” referring to Darren Wilson, the police officer who fatally shot Brown.
Later on in the video, a woman shouts, “We’re the ones who gave all y’all the freedoms that you have!” which is a tidy way of identifying with slavers and Abraham Lincoln at the same time, covered in a thick layer of modern racism.
The Salon story has a video, so go here to check that out. Deadspin (no surprise, really) also has the story and provides a point-by-point rundown of some key details from the video. Check that out here. Below are a few items they point out:
- At 9:05 one of the Cardinals fans starts telling one of the protesters that if he ever "saw him in the street" he would "look at the ground." They argue for a bit about who would and would not whip whose ass.
- At about 10:25 a small blonde lady starts yelling at the protesters: "We're the ones who gave all y'all the freedoms that you have!"
- At 16:43, a female Cardinals fan begins chanting "Africa! Africa! Africa!" at the protesters.
Pic at the very top via Robert Cohen of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on twitter.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *