Above is another fantastic vintage press photo that I ran into on eBay. Go here to check out that auction. It is an International News Photo taken by noted photographer Herb Scharfman, dated 8/12/1956.
Scharfman is considered one of the greats in sports photojournalism. He started out with International News Photo then moved on to Sports Illustrated. His photograph of Rocky Marciano's knock-out punch of Joe Wolcott in 1952 is considered one of the most iconic photos ever taken (see it here), and he is noted for chronicling Roger Maris' pursuit of Babe Ruth's home run record in 1961. Strangely, he may be more famous today for a photo he did not take, but is instead in the middle of. He is the photographer seen between Muhammad Ali's leg when he stands over a knocked-out Sonny Liston in a 1964 rematch. You can see that photo here.
As for the photo above it includes the following caption that was attached to the reverse:
Brooklyn, NY... Winning Dodger combination that helped rout Robin Roberts and the Phillies, 7-3, today make a happy picture in Ebbets Field dressing room. From left are Carl Furrillo who hit two homers, winning pitcher Roger Craig, and Pee Wee Reese and Randy Jackson, who hit a homer each as their share in the Philly Defeat.This win kept the Dodgers 1.5 games behind the Milwaukee Braves. Below are some links to check out:
- Via Mark Townsend at Big League Stew, he shares his favorite Vin Scully calls on his 87th birthday. Then, Michael Clair at Cut4 shares his favorites, "Celebrate Vin Scully's 87th birthday with some of his greatest calls."
- So, Kershaw was at the LA Auto Show this past weekend. Via David's Autograph Signings, he was there and shared a bunch of photos to prove it.
- Via Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA, "The second biggest disappointing moment of 2014."
“That was a really tough play,” Kershaw said. “I think under normal circumstances that’s pretty close to a hit. [Corey] Dickerson’s really fast and Hanley did all he could, he made a great play and just throws a little wide, so there’s nothing you can do with that. It was a tough play.”
- Via Stacie Wheeler at Lasorda's Lair, "Dodgers Lose Two Minor League Catchers This Offseason."
- Via Oscar Martinez at Lasorda's Lair, "Remembering Hanley Ramirez Through Cardboard."
- You've no doubt heard about and seen the new Star Wars 'The Force Awakens' movie trailer, but have you seen the Lego version? Watch it below.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *