Yasiel Puig has begun his winter workout routine; as evidenced by a series of photos and videos he posted up on his instagram. In the above photo he takes batting practice for the first time at the Cuban Missile Baseball Academy in Florida. Go here to check out the video of him hitting.
Below are some links to check out:
- Panini shared preview photos of their upcoming 2014 National Treasures Baseball set; including the autographed Clayton Kershaw patch card above and the Adrian Gonzalez nickname card on the right. Go here to check out some photos, or here for even more pics.
- Via Bill Plunkett at Baseball America, "Kapler Takes Charge For Dodgers."
Kapler fits the profile of the people Friedman has surrounded himself with this offseason since taking over as president of baseball operations—bright, energetic and open-minded to new ways of doing things.
But Kapler is hardly your typical farm director. He earned almost $10 million during a 12-year big league career. Kapler did spend a year managing in the Red Sox system and coached for Team Israel in the World Baseball Classic. But he had segued smoothly into a career in the media since his retirement in 2011 as the rare former player who had a sophisticated understanding of statistical analysis in player evaluation and team building.
- Holy Moly! Musical chairs has not stopped for Ryan Lavarnway. Via Jeff Told at MLB Trade Rumors, he has now been claimed by the Baltimore Orioles. He started this winter as a Red Sox, was then claimed by the Dodgers, then the Cubs and now the Orioles.
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Dodgers send outfielder Jensen to Triple-A."
- Via Cat Belanger at Dodger Insider, "True Hollywood Stories: Behind the scenes with celebrities at Dodger Stadium in 2014."
Bryan and Vin: Bryan Cranston, besides being one of the coolest guys in Hollywood, is a huge Dodger fan. According to him and his wife, Robin, the No. 1 thing on his Bucket List has always been to meet Vin Scully. This year was Bryan and Robin’s 25th wedding anniversary, so she and I plotted to make this happen. She brought him to a game for their anniversary in August, and we brought him up to Vin’s booth. His reaction to meeting Vin was so humbled, and they shared a really nice conversation. But the real surprise was when we had Vin ask Bryan to be the public-address announcer for the game. Bryan accepted and was a fabulous PA announcer — and the two had an adorable anniversary at their favorite ballpark.
- Via Mark Saxon at ESPNLosAngeles.com, "Dodgers still searching for bullpen help."
“I don’t think we’re ever going to get to a point where we go, ‘OK, let’s sit back and put our feet on the desk,’ “Friedman said. “We’re always going to be looking at different areas, whether it be on the margins or more significant. I think any time you ask me this question, the bullpen will always be an answer I’ll give. It has to be my nature never to feel comfortable with a bullpen in the offseason.”
- Chris Harris at Stale Gum may have found the greatest card since the Billy Ripken '*uck Face' card. Check it out here.
- Guess who's excited about getting his first Topps/Bowman Baseball card?
My 1st @BowmanCards just got here. #BowmanChrome #Dodgers pic.twitter.com/pWQn2Y4GgZ
— Jose De Leon (@JoseDeLeon35) December 23, 2014
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *