I came across the above Associated Press photo while drifting through eBay and thought I would share it here. It is date stamped August 2, 1941 and features Babe Phelps (left), Lew Riggs (right) and a bloodied Pee Wee Reese (center) walking off the field. (Click on the pic to embiggen) If you look closely there is a stream of blood coming off Reese's right eyebrow and down his face. Unfortunately, the caption typically attached to the reverse is missing, so we don't know what exactly had transpired, and the little bit of research I did turned up nothing.
Maybe the injury was a result of scoring sacrifice fly that resulting in a violent crash at the plate (Reese did score that way on this day), or maybe an equally haphazard collision happened while turning a double play. I dunno. If you happen to have any knowledge please pass that along.
Below are some links to check out:
- Below is Brandon McCarthy's first tweet after Tommy John surgery yesterday:
thles pani pills are'nt havin any eff=ect at al;/ claer th*inking is me and motoor sskils is very greats— Brandon McCarthy (@BMcCarthy32) April 30, 2015
- The Dodgers continue to pick up players off the waiver wire, here and there. Via J.P. Hoornstra at Inside the Dodgers, "Dodgers claim left-handed pitcher Eury De La Rosa, assign him to Triple-A."
- Via Carson Cistulli at Fan Graphs, "Julio Urias, the Dodgers, and the History of Teenage Pitchers."
Urias remains still in the midst of his age-18 season. So, while he might possess a lot of the physical tools one finds among major-league pitchers, he doesn’t possess an age that has been seen in the majors for a long time. And that’s very likely not lost on Andrew Friedman and the his colleagues in the Dodgers front office.
- Via Gabe Kapler at Kaplifestyle, "Baseball is Life: Rejection and Failure."
- Via GCRL, "Los Angeles Dodger commemorative patches through the years."
- Via Bill Plunkett at the OC Register, "Dodgers promote blue-chip prospect Corey Seager to Triple-A." We might just find him in LA sooner than we thought.
- Via Daniel Brim at Dodgers Digest, "Yimi Garcia, Up the Ladder."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *