Here's a fantastic pic of 26-year old minor league speedster Maury Wills in his Spokane Indians uniform from 1959. After eight years of paying his dues, this season would prove to be his ticket to the big leagues. He slashed .313/.387/.391/.778 and earned a call-up to Los Angeles by seasons end. Wills would never return to Spokane, and quickly solidified a spot in the Dodgers roster. This vintage Spokane Chronicle press photo is current available at RMY Auctions. Go here to check it out.
Below are more links to check out:
- The Dodgers continue to look at young Cubans to fill our minor league ranks. Via Jeff Passan on twitter, we are nearing a deal with 24-year old right-handed pitcher Yaisel Sierra:
Sources: Dodgers and Cuban RHP Yaisel Sierra are nearing a deal. Believed to be for around $30M and would cover six or seven years.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 12, 2016
Mike Axisa at River Ave Blues has some good information on him, here.
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Former Dodgers pitcher Rautzhan dies at 63."
The left-handed Rautzhan, a third-round pick in the 1970 Draft out of Blue Mountain High School in Pottsville, Pa., made 80 relief appearances for the Dodgers and went 6-4 with a 3.73 ERA before being purchased by Milwaukee during the 1979 season.
Rautzhan was the winning pitcher in Game 3 of the 1977 National League Championship Series against the Phillies, a game in which the Dodgers rallied in the top of the ninth inning on pinch-hits by Vic Davalillo and Manny Mota.
- Blowout Buzz has some preview pics of Topp 2016 Baseball card set; including the Corey Seager card on the right. Go here to see more. This set officially releases on February 3rd.
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Dodgers' 1st spring workout dates announced."
Dodgers pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training on Friday, Feb. 19, with the first workout at Camelback Ranch-Glendale on Saturday, Feb. 20.
The report date for remaining Dodgers players is Wednesday, Feb. 24, with the first full-squad workout Thursday, Feb. 25.
- ICYMI: Dodgers Spring Training single game tickets are now for sale. Go here to purchase.
- All eyes are on Dodger prospect Corey Seager. Via AJ Cassavell at MLB.com, "5 hitters poised to break out in 2016."
Seager's time in the big leagues at the end of the 2015 season was brief, but he proved himself more than capable of handling big league pitching. He batted .337/.425/.561 in 27 games (113 plate appearances). Obviously, Seager isn't going to post numbers like those, as big league pitchers will eventually figure him out a bit. But his fluid-yet-compact left-handed swing doesn't seem to have many flaws.
- Brandon McCarthy went on the Players' Tribune mailbag to answer fans questions. Go here to check it out.
Reader: Dear McCarthy, when you were in a cast, how did using the toilet go? – Doe
BM: It went fine, weirdo.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *