What a night. Corey Seager was a one man wrecking machine. He blasted three home runs to lead the Dodgers to a 4-2 victory, and even received his first curtain call of his career. Per Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider:
“That’s fun, that put a smile on my face,” Seager said of the atmosphere in the dugout after he hit home run No. 3 — a liner over the short fence in left field off Atlanta reliever Hunter Cervenka. “That’s something you really enjoy and soak in.”His homers marks the first time a Dodger rookie has hit three dingers in one game since Don Demeter in 1959.
The above pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2016. Go here to check out more pics by Jon from yesterdays game. Below are more links to check:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1964 Sandy Koufax would throw his third career no-hitter against the Phillies. In 1968 Don Drysdale threw his sixth consecutive shutout of the season. His scoreless streak was extended to 54 innings. This is also the day Robert Kennedy made note of Drysdale's efforts in a speech at the Ambassador Hotel after winning the CA primary. Soon thereafter, he would be assassinated. In 1972 the Dodgers retired Roy Campanella's number - #39. In 1998 the Dodgers traded Hideo Nomo to the Mets for Dave Mlicki and Greg McMichael. Ugh!
- RIP, Lee Pfund. Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider; "Former Dodger pitcher Lee Pfund dies at 96."
- Via Mark Townsend at Big League Stew; "Vin Scully announces Muhammad Ali's death during Dodgers broadcast." Video is included.
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "2016 Dodgers Dominican Summer League rosters include Starling Heredia, Ronny Brito."
- Via Robert Murray at Baseball Essential; "Source: Cuban prospect Vladimir Gutierrez throwing for Dodgers (today)." He'll be at Dodger Stadium to showcase his skills for the club.
- Via Jesse Rogers at ESPN; "Oral history: The time David Ross hit his first career homer off Mark Grace."
Ross: So he lobbed it in there and I hit it, man. I really hit it. I still have the bat. It's a Pro-Stock M110. You know, all these guys have their names on their bats and I have a Pro Stock from the minors. So I'm sprinting around the bases and I hit first base and I hear him start screaming at me.
Grace: I cursed at him all around the bases, then I realized after it was over that this poor son-of-gun waited his whole life to hit a home run in the big leagues, and of course he hits it off me in a 18-0 game.
- Panini America shares a bunch of preview pics from their upcoming Father's Day set being given out at local hobby shops; including the cards of Corey Seager and Clayton Kershaw below. (Link Here)
- FYI, Topps has hooked up with another retailer for an exclusive Baseball card set. In March we got word of their partnership with Walmart. Now, we find out that Topps is working with New Era Caps. Per Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily, starting this past Friday, yesterday, customers who purchase a cap at LIDS stores will get a unopened pack of exclusive cards that feature ballplayers who currently endorse their product. This includes Dodger outfielder Joc Pederson. The base set uses the Topps flagship design, but appears to use different photos. There are also cap relic cards and autographs available. Go here to see some preview pics.
- Via Mike Johnston at SportsNet.ca; "MLB commissioner writes Toronto students letter about Bautista-Odor."
“You’re always looking for opportunities to write meaningful things,” Stevens told Sportsnet Friday. “The idea [of the exercise] is it’s good to have opinions and it’s important to share your opinions. If you think something is not right, it’s good to let people know.
“I’ve got some kids really interested in sports and they felt strongly that Odor acted inappropriately.”
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *