Yasiel Puig and the presumptive Rams starting QB Jared Goff are now best friends. After being drafted in late April by the Rams word spread quickly that not only is Goff a SF Giants fan but he was also a Puig-hater. Jared Goff had made an uncouth comment about Puig on twitter back in 2013. See my post about that here.
As you can imagine, a mini brouhaha occurred. Folks expressed their disdain online. Fans started to take sides. Bloggers wrote a bunch of stories. Soon thereafter, Puig and Goff exchanged greetings on social media, and then they quickly buried the hatchet. Yasiel Puig even offering to escort Goff around town. Fast forward to yesterday and we get the makings of an Los Angeles love-fest. They met before the game for the first time, and it now seems clear that are now buddies. Via ESPN:
"We made up a long time ago, but it was good to talk to him," Goff said. "He's a real cool guy. It was funny. It was something I tweeted when I was like 17 years old. He thought it was funny and it's cool to be down here. It's a good chance to meet him through that crazy way."BTW, Goff was not the only Rams player in attendance. Five other teammates came out to meet the Dodger Stadium crowd. Check them out wearing Dodger Blue on the right.
Photo at the very top via @Dodgers on twitter. The pic on the above right via @RamsNFL on twitter. Go here to check out a bunch of pics from Jon SooHoo from yesterdays game. Below are more links to check:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1898 Charles Ebbets took over as manager of the team. His team would go 38-68 under him. The next year Ned Hanlon came on board to skipper the team. In 1957 Jackie Robinson, along with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., receive honorary degrees of Doctor of Laws from Howard University. In 1982 Steve Garvey becomes the fifth player in MLB history to play in 1,000 consecutive games.He would receive a one-minute standing ovation from the Dodger Stadium crowd. In 1995 Tommy Lasorda would win his 1,500th game as manager in a victory over the Expos.
- Audio: Listen to Fernando Valenzuela speak with Colin Gunderson on the "Love of Baseball" podcast. (Link Here)
- The 2016 Draft is coming on Thursday. Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com; "With 4 early picks, Dodgers have many Draft options: Friedman, Zaidi and Co. will have picks at Nos. 20, 32, 36 and 65."
- Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider, listen to Vin Scully's remembrance of D-Day from last nights game.
- Via Chris Jackson at MiLB.com; "PCL notes: Cotton settling into niche."
Cotton has allowed five runs over 16 innings in his last three starts, earning PCL Pitcher of the Week honors for the period of May 23-29.
"I'm doing what I do, going out there and giving my team chances to win," he said. "They played well behind me. That gives me the energy to go out there and do well for them."
- Via Jack Baer at MLB.com; "Kazmir OK after quad cramp forces early exit."
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "Dodgers sign Nick Tepesch to minor league contract."
- Via Jackie Bamberger at Big League Stew; "How an ugly incident in 2000 led to the Dodgers hosting ‘LGBT Night’"
- Check out this recent Baseball card treasure find. There's a video included. Via Kyle Deckelbaum at KATV.com; "Beyond the Game: Sheriff stumbles upon amazing sports memorabilia collection."
"We didn't know he had it," Wright said.
His uncle passed three years ago. Wright stepped in to aide his family.
"We had to make sure that there weren't bills out there that needed to be paid. That's when we discovered there's a safety deposit box.
"We weren't sure what to expect."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *