Walk off magic!
For the second time this season Trayce Thompson came up to the plate in the ninth inning and won the game. He lined a walk off home run over the left field wall. Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider:
“I didn’t know I hit it enough to go out,” Thompson said. “I was running hard out of the box … trying to get into scoring position. I saw the outfielder kind of look up, kind of give up on it, it went out, I never really slowed down, and all of a sudden I was talking to you.”This guy is a big game player. Via Jack Baer and Ken Gurnick at MLB.com:
"I want to be the guy up in that situation," Thompson said. "I feel like the reward for having success far outweighs the disappointment of failure and I'm not afraid of failure, that's the only way to have success in this game. I just want to be that guy the other team fears in that situation and my team has confidence in. Sure, I'll have times I fail, but that's not going to stop me from wanting to be that guy."Photo at the op via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2016. Go here to check out more pics by Jon from yesterdays game. Below are more links to check:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1955 Tommy Lasorda was optioned to Montreal in order to make room for Sandy Koufax on the Dodgers roster. In 1968 Don Drysdale's scoreless innings streak ends at 58 1/3 innings.
- Happy Birthday, Van Lingle Mungo and Kevin Gross.
- With the draft coming on Thursday Eric Stephen at True Blue LA pens; "Dodgers signing bonus pool breakdown."
The Dodgers had the sixth-best record in baseball in 2015, but the have the ninth-highest bonus pool at their disposal. That is thanks to the Dodgers getting a pick, No. 32 overall, for Zack Greinke signing with the Diamondbacks, and getting another compensatory pick, No. 36 overall, for failing to sign Kyle Funkhouser, the No. 35 overall pick in 2015.
- In case you're interested, those Yasiel Puig hashtag t-shirts are available at One Team Design, here.
- Via Taylor Bloom at Sports Techie; "As Applications Close We Catch Up With The New Managing Director Of The Los Angeles Dodgers’ Second Accelerator With RGA."
- Via Paul Lukas at UniWatch; "A Pair of Dodgers Who Modify Their Jerseys."
Back in April we ran a Ticker item about Dodgers first baseman Adrian González appearing to have a horizontal seam sewn into his jersey placket, a bit below the chest script. Now his teammate Enrique Hernández is sporting the same little seam.
- Don't ever change! Via Liz Roscher at Big League Stew; "Juan Uribe pretends to steal fan's hot dog for mid-game snack."
- Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider; "Honors await Kenley Jansen, but his relationship with Don Newcombe is truly something to cherish."
“He’s my father in the United States,” Jansen said. “That’s what it feels like.”
“I think he’s a fine human being, a fine human being,” Newcombe emphasized. “He’s like a son to me, and he wants me to just be a part of his life. That’s all. No big deal, no instructions or anything, just a part of him.”
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *