Kenta Maeda was outstanding. Through the first six innings he was pitching shutout ball. Maeda had only allowed three hits, walked one and struck out nine Rockies batters. Then a couple of well-placed hits in the seventh inning drove in the evenings only run. The Dodgers lost last night, 1-0. Per Jack Baer and Ken Gurnick at MLB.com:
"The way Maeda pitched, we have to win that game," said Roberts. "I think our hitters are trying too hard."I think it's more like the Dodgers offense decided to take a nap. Doug Padilla at ESPN adds more:
“I think that guys are, again, trying to do too much,” Roberts said. “There are some empty at-bats and some tentativeness to the swings when you get into a good hitter’s count. We’re missing fastballs, whether we’re swinging through them, fouling them off or we’re late on them. We’re putting extra pressure on ourselves.”The photo above via @Dodgers on twitter. BTW, today is the first two rounds of the MLB Amateur Draft. It all begins at 4:00 PM, and the Dodgers have four picks (#20, #32, #36 & #65). Their bonus pool money is at $9,336,500. Check out Ken Gurnick's story at MLB.com about the draft and the Dodgers strategy this evening (link here).
"I know everyone judges on the first five picks and they're probably not as strong as people would like," (Billy Gasparino) said. "For us in the middle portion of the first round and on, it's really strong. Player 10 to 50, we feel really good about that group. Better, I think a whole grade higher than last year in depth and talent."Below are more links to check:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1919 Dodgers starter Rube Marquard breaks his leg running the bases during the game against Cincinnati. In 1990 Eddie Murray hit a home run from both sides of the plate in the game against the Padres in San Diego. Having done this for the tenth time in his career, he ties a MLB record with Mickey Mantle.
- Via Christian Red at the NY Daily News; "Vin Scully declines Yankees invite to attend September series vs. Dodgers at Stadium."
"I thought that was extremely thoughtful that the Yankees would love it if I came to the games. But I don’t want to fall into a trap, like I'm a rare Stradivarius and I'm taking it on tour," says Scully. "Although I appreciate it, I'm really not inclined to take a bow.”
- Via Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider; "Casey Fien finds his calling with Vin Scully on the call."
That night, Fien’s parents came to the game. They rushed home afterward upon hearing from Fien’s cousin that Vin Scully said: “Casey Fien is warming up in the bullpen.”
Fien called his parents, Ginny and John, that night to make sure they got home OK. Ginny picked up the phone.
“I can hear my dad in the background: ‘Vin said your name! Vin said your name!’ ” Fien said.
- You knew this was coming. Via Steve Adams at MLB Trade Rumors; "Dodgers Release Alex Guerrero." He was DFA'd last week.
- The True to the Blue collector blog was at the Adrian Gonzalez/Justin Turner signing in Anaheim a couple months back and shares his experience. There a re a bunch of pics to check out.
- Panini America shares a bunch of preview pics of their newest Baseball card set called Flawless Baseball; including the Fernando Valenzuela and Joc Pederson cards below. Go here to check out more pics. This set officially comes out next week.
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "Josh Sborz, Kyle Garlick named Cal League All-Stars, Trevor Oaks shines in Tulsa's 10th straight win."
- Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider provides an update on the progress of last years #1 draft pick, Walker Buehler. (Link Here)
“Walker Buehler’s going to be ready to throw next year — he’s almost like a pick this year,” Gasparino said. “We feel good about his recovery, his rehab and where he’s at in the process.”
Buehler is following a 15-month plan, throwing light bullpen sessions, and is moving toward facing live hitters in instructional league, according to Gasparino.
- Via Dodger Insider on twitter, Brandon McCarthy is ready for his rehab assignment:
Brandon McCarthy's first rehab start to be with @RCQuakes, three innings Saturday, Dave Roberts says.— Dodger Insider (@DodgerInsider) June 8, 2016
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *