Above is an fantastic 1910's advertising poster for Fatima Turkish brand Cigarettes that features action photos from an opening series match-up between the Brooklyn Superbas (Dodgers) and New York Giants. It is currently on auction at Mile High Card Company. (Auction Link)
Unfortunately, the poster mainly points out popular Giants players like Fred Snodgrass, George Burns and Fred Merkle. So it's likely this ad was prominently displayed in neighborhoods loyal to that team. Nevertheless, it's a unique piece that includes several rare photographs.
Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1950 Walter O'Malley became the ninth president and chief stockholder in the Dodgers franchise. Following the death of team owner John L. Smith (who owned one-quarter of the club) O'Malley navigated a deal where he bought Branch Rickey's share of the club and essentially became a trustee over the Smith family portion to take over majority control.
- Happy Birthday: Dan Coulombe!
- Video: Julio Urias on what he has learned from his rookie year and what he hopes to improve for the following season. (Link Here)
- Okay. This is kinda funny. Redditor r/dogballs8 shares their story of taking a recent Southwest flight that included Clayton Kershaw as a passenger.
Everyone (besides the pilot) gave him his space. People snapped some over the shoulder shots but nobody asked for the dreaded selfie. Funny enough, the southwest pilot was a third generation Cubs fan and began her pre-flight talk about how happy she was. 25% of the plane groaned because we'd seen Kershaw in row 5. She asked sarcastically if Kershaw is even real he's so good and then she makes eye contact. She had no idea he was on our plane. I shot some video but don't think I caught the whole exchange. Kershaw got a good laugh. Best Southwest trip ever.
- Via Matthew Moreno at Dodger Blue; "Steve Garvey Recipient Of L.A. Sports Legend Award At Cal State L.A.’s Billie Jean King Gala."
“I’ve been blessed,” Garvey told a filled ballroom at Langham Huntington Hotel in Pasadena, Calif. “The greatest gift is to give back.”
- Via Ron Cervenka ar Think Blue LA; "Dodgers hoping to re-sign Chase Utley … and his intangibles."
“It was taken into account when we traded for [Utley] originally, it was taken into account when we re-signed him last off-season and it’s something that we value greatly,” (Andrew) Friedman said. “So again, as far as how everything plays out with the roster, there’s a lot of things that are up in the air, but the respect that we have for him on the field, off the field remains unchanged.”
- The statistic and polling guru's at FiveThirtyEight let us know that the Dodgers are the second unluckiest team in the MLB. (Link Here)
- Giovanni Balistreri at When Topps Had (Base)Balls! shares a Don Drysdale fantasy Baseball card in a 1971 Topps design.
- An old friend alert from Jeff Todd at MLB Trade Rumors; "Rockies To Interview Tim Wallach For Managerial Opening."
Wallach, 59, has long been the right-hand man of Marlins’ skipper Don Mattingly, dating back to when both led the Dodgers’ dugout. He served as the third base coach and then bench coach in Los Angeles before following Mattingly to Miami. Long before that, Wallach enjoyed a productive, 17-year MLB career as a corner infielder — most notably with the Expos.
- Stupid! Via Ryan Cracknell at Beckett; "Tim Tebow Baseball Cards Coming in 2016 Leaf Metal Draft."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *