Spring training is in full swing in the vintage photo above, originally taken by legendary Dodger photographer Barney Stein in 1953. (eBay auction link here) As you can see, a large group of players are in the midst of some calisthenics. On a side note, this reminds me of that famous Life Magazine cover from 1948 featuring just as many Dodger rookies (see that on the right).
Below are more links to check out:
- Happy Birthday, Brian Holton and Vin Scully!
- This is horrible. Via BBC News, "Brazil's Chapecoense football team in Colombia plane crash." My deepest condolences to family, friends and fans of all those who have perished. I still remember when former LA Kings forward Pavol Demitra and most of his entire hockey team from Lokomotiv died in a 2011 plane crash in Russia. It was a bit gut-wrenching.
- Per Doug Padilla at ESPN; "Dodgers deny being under MLB 'mandate' to bring down debt."
"There is no mandate," Dodgers president and CEO Stan Kasten said Monday afternoon. "There is no problem with our debt and we continue to work on the same program we have been working on from the day we walked in here in 2012, which is to say we're working hard to build the best team we can for this year while being mindful of continuing to build the best pipeline of minor leaguers to the major leagues that we can."
- Tracy Ringolsby at MLB.com said this about Cody Bellinger:
"He understands how to make adjustments. He hit four home runs combined his first two years in pro ball. That's not enough for a corner outfielder/first baseman. He got that. He started to put more loft into his swing and hit 30 home runs in High A ball two years ago and struck out 150 times. OK, now I've got to adjust to that. He goes to Double-A, hits 26 home runs between Double-A and his short stint in Triple-A and got his strikeout total below 100."
- Per a news release from the Somerset Patriots we learn that the Dodgers have signed RHP Alexis Candelario. The Patriots are an independent Baseball club in the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball.
Candelario had two stints during the 2016 season with the Somerset Patriots. He first joined the team in mid-June before having his contract purchased by Veracruz of the Mexican League. He re-joined Somerset at the end of August and into the postseason.
Candelario was 2-1 with a 5.01 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 37.2 innings pitched in eight games (seven starts) for the Somerset Patriots during the 2016 campaign.
Before joining the Somerset Patriots, Candelario played most of his career in professional leagues in Central America. He has played in Nicaragua, Mexico and his native Dominican Republic before playing in Italy for two seasons.
- Blowout Buzz shares some preview pics from the upcoming 2016 Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects set; including the Dodgers 2016 1st Round Draft Pick Gavin Lux on the right. Go here to check out more photos.
- Giovanni Balistreri at When Topps Had (Base) Balls shares his 1972 Topps fantasy Baseball card of Don Drysdale.
- Eric Stephen at True Blue LA makes note of another free agent minor league signing -- Madison Younginer.
Madison Younginer, drafted by the Red Sox in the seventh round in 2009, pitched in Triple-A for the Braves in 2016. The right-hander had a 4.02 ERA in 46 games between Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett, with 60 strikeouts and 23 walks in 56 innings.
- As a collector this story at ESPN the Magazine is utterly fascinating: ""Gosh, It's Beautiful. How did a boring Nintendo game from 1987 become the most coveted cartridge ever? It's a bit of a mystery." (Link Here)
- Blowout Buzz also shares some preview pics of Topps 2017 Inception set; including the Corey Seager card below. Go here to check out more pics. This set will be released on April 12th, 2017.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *