|(AGon in Dubai, via his twitter)|
John Fekete, President of the Dubai Little League commented: “The objective of the Dubai Little League is teach our 500 players the fundamentals of baseball and foster a team environment that gives them the opportunity practice good sportsmanship and we have no better partners than the Los Angeles Dodgers and Emirates Airline to help us achieve these goals. We are thrilled that our youth will have the opportunity to enhance their skills through the mentorship of some of the most respected players in Major League Baseball and we are looking forward to more visits from the Los Angeles Dodgers.”Photo above via @Dodgers on twitter. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1990 the Dodgers signed free agent infielder Juan Samuel. In 2007 the Dodgers signed Japanese free agent pitcher Hiroki Kuroda to a three year/$35.3 million contract. In 2014 the Dodgers signed free agent pitcher Brandon McCarthy to a four year/$48 million contract. In 2015 the Dodgers received Micah Johnson, Frankie Montas and Trayce Thompson in exchange for Brandon Dixon, Jose Peraza and Scott Schebler in a three way trade with the Reds and White Sox.
- Happy Birthday, Pete Hotaling & Sammy Strang!
- Erin Andrews at Dodger Insider shares a large listing of Dodgers memorabilia that's for sale and available directly from the team, in benefit of the Dodgers Foundation. There are autographed baseballs, photos and jersey's. Go here to check them out.
- Via Will Leitch at Sports on Earth; "Dodgers: The Only 'Classic' L.A. Team."
- Awesome! Via Adrian Garro at Cut4; "You simply must watch this mesmerizing Hump Day-inspired clip of Justin Turner feeding a camel."
- Via Bill Plunkett at the OC Register; "Dodgers prospect Willie Calhoun not short on confidence."
“I walked up to (Dodgers president of baseball operations) Andrew Friedman and I told him, ‘I’m going to put on a laser show,’” Calhoun said at the Futures Game. “He laughed. I’ll never forget. He laughed and said, ‘Good luck, buddy. We’ll see.’”
- David Hood at True Blue LA takes a look at; "Dodgers 2017 top prospects: No. 19, Johan Mieses."
Long considered a toolsy prospect, Dodgers outfielder Johan Mieses started to translate his raw power to game power in the second half of 2016, to the tune of a .300 isolated slugging and 17 home runs in 62 games. The rest of Mieses’ offensive approach remains a work in progress, and excitement over his potential is tempered by the low floor he still maintains. Mieses has been a late bloomer thus far, and should the plate discipline come together in Double-A Tulsa (a tall task), he could be a first division right fielder and blue chip prospect after 2017.
- Via Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider; "Shortstop prospect Brendon Davis enjoys big-league offseason at 19."
“I think I’m just talking in the moment, but this is my most important offseason,” he said. “After my first full season and really getting a feel for what pro ball is this year, you understand the grind and why you need to work in the offseason and why you do this. I think this season is huge. I tell everybody this: Bryce Harper was in the league when he was 19. People say, ‘You’re young. You’re young. But there’s really no time to waste.”
- Via Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA; "Alex Verdugo – World Traveler and Adrian Gonzalez protégé." Verdugo chats a bit about playing for Team Mexico with AGon as a teammate in Japan for a WBC game.
“And Adrian, he made sure like … because he saw my parents right when he landed in Tokyo and the hotel, and he told my parents to text me to tell me to come down because he wanted to talk to me and see me,” Verdugo added. “And so of course I threw on my clothes and ran down.”
- I guess Yimi Garcia will be out the entire 2017 season. Via a tweet from Ken Gurnick, he recently had Tommy John Surgery:
Yimi Garcia underwent Tommy John surgery Oct. 25.— Ken Gurnick (@kengurnick) December 16, 2016
- This weeks 2016 Topps Throwback Thursday card set available online features "Next Generation MLB Stars" on the 1983 Topps Empire Strikes Back card design, and it includes Dodgers shortstop sensation Corey Seager. Go here to check it out and order. Unfortunately, a preview pic of the card has not been made available.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *