The Dodgers held their first full-squad workout yesterday, and I think it's safe to say that everyone in Blue is excited. Per Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA:
“It’s one of the most exciting days of the year, getting a chance to get the whole club together, see all the guys after the off-season even though I’ve been staying in touch with most of them,” said the de facto clubhouse leader. “Just kind of shoot the s**t a little bit and catch up, see what’s going on. Other than the whole physicals and testing and that part of it, this is a pretty fun day for us.”The photo above of Justin Turner via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2017. Go here to check out more pics by Jon from yesterday. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodger History: First, I just want to mention that today in 1980 was the "Miracle on Ice" -- when a ragtag group of American college kids defeated the USSR in hockey during the Winter Olympics. In 2009 the Dodgers signed free agent infielder Orlando Hudson to a one-year $3.4 million contract. In 2014 the Dodgers signed Cuban infielder Erisbel Arruebarrena to a five-year $25 million contract.
- Happy Birthday, Ed Silch, Clarence Mitchell, Bill Hall, Roy Spencer, Bob Wilson & Steve Colyer!
- Per Ken Gurnick at MLB.com; "Zaidi: Gonzalez to get strategic rest in 2017."
"We looked over the last few years his performance coming out of a day off, and he always seems to have a hot streak coming out of that," Zaidi said. "It's tough with him; he's so good defensively also. Even against a tough lefty, he's the best option, but we're going to try to figure a way to give him more days off."
- Via Ken Rosenthal at FoxSports; "Sergio Romo finds himself at home in Dodgers blue."
His decision to sign with the Dodgers was a bow to his late grandfather, Evaristo Romo, a Dodgers fan who mock-protested when the Giants drafted Sergio in the 28th round of the 2005 draft, then told him, “Just be happy. This is your way to get your foot in the door.”
“If there is someone who wanted to see me in this jersey, it was him,” Romo said. “I thought of him a lot.”
- David Hood at True Blue LA takes a look at; "Dodgers 2017 top prospects: No. 4, Walker Buehler."
Buehler hasn’t quite rebuilt his status in some of the larger media rankings, but given the velocity recovery he showed in just five innings, it’s only a matter of time. Buehler typically sat in the mid-90s with Vanderbilt, but in short stints in 2016 he would bump it up even higher. With the likelihood that the Dodgers ease Buehler back into his workload, I would expect him to find a middle ground between the two, but still putting him near or at plus level on his arm strength.
- Uh... What? Via a tweet by LA Times reporter Andy McCullough:
Corey Seager told Dave Roberts he never had his "A-swing" in 2016, which is bonkers.— Andy McCullough (@McCulloughTimes) February 22, 2017
- The Simpsons to the Hall. Per the National Baseball Hall of Fame; "Salute to Iconic ‘Homer at the Bat’ Episode of The Simpsons Highlights 2017 Hall of Fame Classic Weekend."
The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum will pay tribute to THE SIMPSONS’ place in American culture by honoring “Homer at the Bat” on Saturday, May 27. Boggs and Smith, who were portrayed in the unforgettable episode that featured Homer Simpson winning the championship softball game for the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant with a walk-off hit-by-pitch, will join in a roundtable discussion from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. outside the Library entrance to the Hall of Fame in Cooper Park. The discussion, which is free and open to the public, will feature the episode’s executive producers Al Jean and Mike Reiss, director Jim Reardon, executive story editor Jeff Martin, and casting director Bonnie Pietila.
During the roundtable, Homer will be “inducted” into the Hall of Fame. This brief ceremony will be followed with the official ribbon-cutting on a SIMPSONS-themed exhibit display in the Museum. THE SIMPSONS will also be honored prior to the Hall of Fame Classic legends game taking place that afternoon at Cooperstown’s historic Doubleday Field.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *