Last nights WBC Final was the first game this year that I've watch from start to finish, and I must say it was fantastic. What a way to start the Baseball season.
As you know, Team USA defeated Team Puerto Rico to capture its very first WBC Championship. It was glorious to watch and fun to celebrate an actual championship (albeit not a Dodger one) at our home turf. Hopefully this is sign of things to come at Dodger Stadium.
Both photos above via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2017. Go here to check out more great pics taken by Jon from the WBC Final game. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1951 the Brooklyn Dodgers sign a 21-year lease with the City of Vero Beach to build their spring training facility at an old abandoned Naval base. It would be known as Dodgertown. In 2002 the Dodgers traded Jorge Nunez and Matt Herges to the Expos for Guillermo Mota and Wilkin Ruan.
- Happy Birthday, Barney Koch, Jerry Brooks, Joel Peralta & John Link!
- RIP, Dallas Green. The longtime Baseball lifer died yesterday at the age of 82. He had won a World Series Championship as manager of the Phillies in 1980. Per CBS New York:
“He was a big man with a big heart and a bigger-than-life personality,” Phillies chairman David Montgomer said in a news release Wednesday. “Having known Dallas since 1971, he was one of my first phone calls upon becoming Phillies president because of his perspective and advice. All of us at the Phillies had tremendous respect for Dallas as a baseball man and friend.”
As you may know, he also has a connection to the Dodgers. His son, John, works within the Dodgers scouting department. Sadly, his nine-year old daughter (Dallas' granddaughter), Christina Taylor-Green, was killed in 2011 terrorist-styled assassination attempt that wounded U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona.
- FYI, this coming Saturday Dodger Stadium will be hosting a job fair. Per Matthew Mesa at Dodger Insider; "22nd Annual Community Job Fair at Dodger Stadium March 25."
- Per Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "MLB Draft 2017: Dodgers have $5.5 million bonus pool, per report."
- Via Bill Plunkett at the OC Register; "Brandon McCarthy happy to be back with Dodgers, calling his recovery a 'big bowl of weird soup."
“Coming back, you don’t spend that time focusing on your mechanics. You focus that time on being healthy,” McCarthy says now of that experience. “Every pitch you throw, the velocity is there but you’re not worried about the velocity. You’re not even that worried about the command of it or what you’re doing with it or what your mechanics are doing or how sharp you might be. You’re just making sure you’re not blown out and you can keep going with it.”
- Justin Turner is hosting a Baseball camp on Thursday, July 11th in Simi Valley. Go here for information.
- Via Michael Baumann at The Ringer; "I Met Corey Seager, I’m Never Going to Fail."
“I was always around people who succeeded, people who were good at what they were doing,” Seager said. “So it never really jumped out that we were better than other people. I was just trying to be like my older brother, basically.”
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *