He's on the comeback trail.
Yesterday Hyun-Jin Ryu received fantastic news. Although he gave up two homers in his most recent spring start he did prove to the Dodger staff that he belongs in the Dodgers starting rotation. Per Eric Stephen at True Blue LA:
“He just kind of kept plugging away, and showed he’s healthy. He built his innings up,” Roberts said. “It just gives the confidence that he can give us quality starts when he goes out there.”Per Bill Plunkett at the OC Register:
“From how I feel right now, I’m definitely confident that I can pitch every five days for this team. … I’ve always been a starting pitcher so it definitely feels good to be back doing what I expect to do. It has a lot of meaning in that regard.”Photo above via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2016. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1991 the Dodgers released longtime Dodger starter Fernando Valenzuela. Per an AP article in the Lodi News-Sentinel:
- Video: Hyun-Jin Ryu speaks after giving up 3-runs in 5-innnings and striking out 4 with no walks in Dodgers’ 5-2 loss to White Sox on Monday. (Video Link)
- Video: Dave Roberts made the announcement that Hyun-Jin Ryu will be in the starting rotation and Scott Kazmir will begin the season the DL. (Video Link)
- Video: FanRag Sports reporter Sande Charles caught up with Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Sergio Romo about his first spring with the team, the World Baseball Classic, and more. (Video Link)
- No surprise here. Via Charlie Wilmoth at MLB Trade Rumors; "Scott Kazmir To Begin Season On DL."
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com; "Kazmir confident he can improve velocity: Dodgers reach more clarity on rotation after veteran's rough outing."
"Not being able to locate the fastball, I was relying on cutter to get me out of jams," he said. "It's just a matter of synching everything up and using my legs. There are so many checkpoints, but it feels like it's slowly getting there. Everything happening in the past few weeks, I've made huge strides. I know it's there. It's just getting that muscle memory back."
- Blowout Buzz provides a sneak peek at Topps 2017 Bowman Chrome Baseball cards; including a pic of a Cody Bellinger card seen on the right. This set will slated to hit stores on September 6th.
- Here's an old friend alert. Via Jeff Todd at MLB Trade Rumors; "Braves Release Paco Rodriguez."
- Via Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA; "‘The Skipper’ returning to broadcast booth in 2017."
Former Boston Red Sox and Texas Rangers manager, and longtime Dodgers minor league manager Kevin Kennedy – affectionately known to Dodger fans as “The Skipper” – will be returning to the Dodgers radio broadcast booth this season for a significant number of games on AM 570 LA Sports – the Dodgers flagship radio station.
“No matter what, I’ve always been a Dodger,” Kennedy told ThinkBlueLA. “It will be great working with Rick [Monday] again this season.”
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *