A couple of old pros pass down some knowledge to an eager rookie. Featured above is an April 15, 1956 Associated Press photo featuring a young Drysdale chatting it up with Labine and Furillo while autographing some balls. (eBay Link) Per the descriptor:
PART OF THE BIG LEAGUE LIFE--Don Drysdale, center, 19-year-old rookie pitcher whose contract has been taken up by the Dodgers, gets introduced to a rainy day chore-autographing baseballs. He listens to two "old hands"--pitcher Clem Labine, left, and outfielder Carl Furillo as they go about their work during postponement of today's scheduled exhibition game with the New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium.Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 2004 the Dodgers purchased outfielder Jason Grabowski from the A's. They also traded reliever Jason Frasor to the Blue Jays for outfielder Jason Werth. In 2008 the Dodgers played a pregame exhibition game at the LA Coliseum against the Boston Red Sox in celebration of the 50th annniversary of the club's move from Brooklyn to Los Angeles. A crowd of 115,300 attended -- the largest to ever see a Baseball game.
- Happy Birthday, Hank Gastright, Rube Dessau, Lee Meyer, Gibby Brack, Tommy Holmes, Mike Ramsey & Brian Jordan!
- Video: Julio Urias talks about staying at extended spring training when the regular season opens next week. (Video Link)
- Video: Justin Turner speaks with Kelli Tennant after his final Cactus League game of the spring. (Video Link)
- Per Jenna Chandler at LA Curbed; "Dodger Stadium: The ultimate guide to LA’s ballpark."
- Dodgers prospect pitcher Walker Buehler had a rough first outing yesterday when he faced Cactus League batters for the first time in his career. To help ease his nerves infielder Chase Utley came out to calm him down after a first inning home run. Via Bill Plunkett at the OC Register; "Dodgers prospect gets to face major-league hitters, meet a major-league player."
“He just told me that was a long fly ball, that he was Chase and try to get some outs,” Buehler said afterwards.
“That was a good mound visit right there from Chase,” Roberts said with a laugh. “So he introduced himself and he (Buehler) proceeded to get a pop up. So whatever he said, the introduction worked.
- The roster is started to get pared down. Per Rowan Kavner at Dodger Insider; "Urías, Morrow won’t open season on roster." Urias will go through an extended spring training and Morrow will milely play at Oklahoma City.
- BTW, Rowan also mentions that the, "Dodgers set Spring Training home attendance record."
With 5,833 fans at Camelback Ranch on Tuesday against the Padres, the Dodgers increased their 2017 spring attendance record at home games to 165,911, which is a new club record.
- Panini America's blog shares a bunch of preview pics of their 2017 Diamond Kings Baseball card set; including the Clayton Kershaw and Darryl Strawberry cards below. This set goes live today. Go here to check out more pics from the set.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *