A part of the famed George Michael Collection of Baseball sliding press photographs (eBay auction link), featured above is a 1952 United Press Photo of a soaring Jackie Robinson. Per the descriptor on the reverse:
Both feet in the air, Brooklyn second baseman Jackie Robinson whips the ball to Gil Hodges at first after forcing Chicago Cubs' Hank Sauer out at second in the second inning of the Ebbets Field Contest, Sept. 11. Jackie was too late for the double play. Sauer tried to advance to second on Toby Atwell's grounder.Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1962 left-handed rookie Pete Richert made his major league debut by striking out the first six batters he faced -- tying records for strike outs in an inning (4 K's in the 3rd inning), successive strike outs by a pitcher in his major league debut, and consecutive strikeouts by a relief pitcher.
"I had good stuff and somebody up there likes me," Richert said of his first big league game. "What I mean is that I always say a little prayer when Im nervous and excited. And I was tonight as I started walking to the mound."
- Happy Birthday, John Harkins, Mickey O'Neil, Walt Moryn, Vicente Romo, Paul LoDuca, Antonio Osuna & Justin Ruggiano!
- You can check out a bunch of great photos from Jon SooHoo from Mondays game here.
- Per Richard Justice at MLB.com; "New statue depicts Jackie as player, man: MLB pioneer will be honored at Dodger Stadium on Saturday."
The other part of his life will be told on the base of the 700-pound bronze sculpture on which a sampling of his words will be embedded.
Among them is this one, a favorite of Rachel Robinson, Jackie's widow:
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
And two others:
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me… All I ask is that you respect me as a human being."
"There's not an American in this country free until every one of us is free."
- Chris T at When Topps Had Balls shares a fantasy Baseball card of former Dodger Henry Cruz.
- Mike Ozanian at Forbes shares this season; "Baseball Team Values 2017."The Dodgers are valued at $2.75 billion.
- Jim Callis at MLB.com has the official; "2017 Draft bonus pools, pick values." The Dodgers will have $5,794,200 available to spend in bonus pool money.
- Per Nicholas Paschal at Yahoo TV; "Jenna Elfman Apologizes for Being ‘Annoying’ at the Dodgers Game."
Once she realized she was on TV (behind home plate during the game), Jenna texted her kids to make them watch. She acted goofy, like her character on Dharma & Greg, to entertain her children. Unfortunately, everyone else watching the game could see her too, and as Jenna put it, it looked “so obnoxious.”
- Via Harold Uhlman at Think Blue LA; "Loons’ Carlos Rincon on fire in Midwest League."
“He showed a lot of patience. He was attacking fastballs and just sticking with his approach from the last few days,” (Loons manager Jeremy) Rodriguez said. “He’s hammered a couple of baseballs in ways I haven’t seen before.”
“His eye and his patience make him a special hitter,” Rodriguez said. “He knows what pitch he likes and he knows how to hit in the right count and the right situation.”
- MLB unveiled the various 2017 holiday Baseball uniforms for each team. Check out Chris Creamer's report on them at Sports Logos.net. Below are the Dodger uniforms. Furthermore, players will wear specially designed socks, as well.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *