Matt Kemp begins his rehab assignment in Albuquerque today. Hopefully, he'll be with the Dodgers by the end of the week. Photo above, via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2013.
- "As Good As It Gets": Vin Scully's Ode To Summer, via Ann Herold at City Think Blog.
To me the most interesting moment is at the start of the game at seven o’clock, when it’s still bright enough that the stadium lights haven’t taken effect. You see the back of the mountains, and I always think of “purple mountains’ majesty.” Then there’s the beginning of the sunset, which is right over the left-field stands. I thought we’d have great sunsets when we lived by the ocean, but the way the coastline lies is kind of goofy, and we never saw them. The sky over Dodger Stadium will change into cotton candy—all these different colors. That’s a marvelous thing, when you can sit and take all that in.
- Bill Shaikin at the LA Times writes, "Dodgers send three scouts to watch Cuban pitching prospect".
As outfielder Yasiel Puig attracts attention in the major leagues, the Dodgers joined other major league clubs at a showcase for Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. The 26-year-old right-hander could soon be available to the highest bidder.
- The 7th edition of Dodgers Playbill features Adrian Gonzalez and is available to fans when entering Dodger Stadium parking gates. It includes a story on Gonzalez’s first full year in Dodger blue, as well as stories on Yasiel Puig’s meteoric rise, Pedro Guerrero’s historic June 1985 and the Dodgers’ opening the 2014 season in Australia. See it at right.
- This coming Tuesday is Beach Towel Night and 40,000 beach towels will be given out to fans before the game against the Gaints. See what it loos like on the left.
- On Tuesday, Bay Area Dodger fan Casey Johnstone whose 5th grade graduation speech has garnered national media attention will throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Casey was asked to give a speech at his Bay Area elementary school about a favorite memory from school and chose to talk about being the only Dodger fan at school while all the kids celebrated the Giants' World Series win. The Dodgers will show Casey’s memorable speech in-game. See the video below.
- Only in America, Hyun-Jin Ryu!
샌디에고에선 강아지도 차를 타네.... A driving dog! pic.twitter.com/VgsDFExvM4
— Hyun-Jin Ryu (@HyunJinRyu99) June 22, 2013
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *