Steve Garvey, along with Steve Sax, was at the Westfield Topanga Mall yesterday afternoon. Pic above via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2013, and go here to see more photos. The mall tour continues at the West Covina Mall this afternoon with Steve Garvey and Steve Yeager signing autographs for fans. Go here for information.
- Via Dionisio Soldevila at ESPNDeportes.com, "Hanley Negotiates Extension with LA". It's in Spanish. Below is a poor translation of a quote:
"We are negotiating something, but we go step by step. I have 1 year left, and I want to remain in LA for the rest of my career because they have treated me very well," said Ramírez on having taken part in a celebration of the Classic World cup of Baseball in the National Palace.
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Dodgers sign Elbert, Baxter, Butera to deals: Pacts for 2014 come ahead of Monday's deadline to tender contracts".
- Steve Sax to be inducted into the 2014 Class of the Sacramento Sports Hall of Fame. Go here for information. The ceremony will be in January. He will also be inducted with former Dodger Leron Lee; who currently holds the Japanese record for highest lifetime batting average (4,000 min. at-bats).
- ICYMI. Listen to this past Wednesday's Dodger Talk with Kevin Kennedy and David Vassegh. Dan Haren is a special guest.
- Mark Saxon at ESPN writes, "Is the Dodgers starting rotation settled?"
"If something else comes our way, we'll take a look at it. I'm not going to close the door on any more starters," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said during the conference call to announce Haren's deal.
- Via Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA, "Could baseball bring an end to Cuba Trade Embargo?"
All of this being said, it was reported on Thursday in an article posted on the National Public Radio (NPR) website that Cuban authorities have lifted a 50-year ban on players signing professional contracts abroad. It does not, however, include the MLB.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *