It's that time of year again, when Baseball collectors start to wonder, who will be honored with a Topps All-Star Rookie trophy in their 2014 Baseball card set?
Since 1959, Topps has commemorated the best young stars at each position with the symbol of a trophy emblazoned on the following years Topps cards. You can see the two examples of that trophy at the very top. The trophy on the left was used from 1960 to 1972, and the trophy cup on the right was used thereafter. This honor has been bestowed on some of the games greatest; from Willie McCovey to Johnny Bench, from Gary Carter to Ozzie Smith, from Cal Ripken Jr. to Ichiro Suzuki.
This year, two Dodgers made the cut, and they are not surprising choices.
Yasiel Puig and Hyun-Jin Ryu have been named to the 2013 Topps All-Star Rookie roster. Check out a list of all the winners below.
- 1B Matt Adams, St. Louis Cardinals (.284 batting average, 17 HR, 51 RBI, 2013 stats)
- 2B Jedd Gyorko, San Diego Padres (.249, 23, 63)
- 3B Nolan Arenado, Colorado Rockies (.267, 10, 52)
- SS Jose Iglesias, Detroit Tigers (.303, 3, 29)
- OF Wil Myers, Tampa Bay Rays (.293, 13, 53)
- OF Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers (.319, 19, 42)
- OF Christian Yelich, Miami Marlins (.288, 4, 16)
- C Evan Gattis, Atlanta Braves (.243, 21, 65)
- RHP Jose Fernandez, Miami Marlins (12-6, 2.19 ERA, 187 K's)
- LHP Hyun-jin Ryu, Los Angeles Dodgers (14-8, 3.00, 154)
- RP Jim Henderson, Milwaukee Brewers (60 IP, 2.70, 75, 28 Saves)
Hat Tip: bdj610's Topps Baseball Card Blog
Both pics above via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2013
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *