Above is Maury Will, Franklin Stubbs and Davey Lopes from last nights game, pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014.
- Via Peter Gammons, "Dodger Blue prevails over L.A."
It’s hard not to look at the Dodgers and think that if their pitching is healthy, they are the best National League team west of the Mississippi. Clayton Kershaw is the best in the game, and doesn’t turn 26 for another couple of weeks. Zack Greinke. Hyun-Jin Ryu. Josh Beckett, healthy again after Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Surgery. Dan Haren. Colletti signed Paul Maholm for depth. Former number one pick Zach Lee is nearly ready.
- Via Daniel Brim at Dodgers Digest, "What Baseball Prospectus’ New Framing Data Means For The Dodgers."
- Ever the motivator, Tommy Lasorda gave his true-to-form rah-rah speech during a time out at a Clippers home game. Josh Tucker and Cat Belanger write about it at Dodger Insider.
I remember, back in 2008, Tommy came into the Kings locker room during a crosstown rivalry game against Ducks, and motivated them to a 3 to 1 victory. I was in the stands for that game, and heard about the motivational speech during the game. I have to admit, the Kings weren't very good, and I do recall noticing a little bit more jump in the step that night (or, stride in their skate, as it were). Keep in mind, the Kings were in the midst of a rebuilding, and the Ducks had just won the Stanley Cup. Colin Gunderson at MLB.com has the story about this.
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Greinke throws for first time since straining calf."
- Via Jeff Sullivan at FanGraphs, "Baseball’s New Most Dominant Pitch." It may just be Kenley Jansen's cutter.
The thing about Jansen is he’s aggressive with his cutter in the strike zone. He doesn’t have Rivera’s impeccable command, but his command is plenty good and the quality of his cutter gives him a greater margin of error. He’s able to get away with more.
- Via Jared Massey at Dodgers Nation, "2014 Dodgers Minor League Preview: Midwest League."
- Dre at It's Always A Good Dre in L.A. writes, "My Camelback Ranch Experience, 2/28/2014." He visited as a part of a prize package from KOST.
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Yasiel Puig exits with upper back injury, but expected back in lineup Thursday."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *